Penn 712Z opportunities

Started by sandbar, July 18, 2022, 10:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

What are you using for a penetrating oil ? 
  High setting for 2 minutes ,get the oil smokem   Hot
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Midway Tommy

You get it too hot you'll bubble the paint. Be careful! If penetrating oil won't do the job try a little acetone or lacquer thinner in the joint between the bearing and housing from the top side. Your main objective should be to get the bearing out of the body. Getting the bearing off the pinion after that is done is fairly simple. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

JasonGotaProblem

So I ended up with one of these today in a bin of free 'junk' reels. One man's trash...
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

sandbar

I'm using PB Blaster Joe.
What would you recommend?

Tommy
The bearing and pinion are already separated.

oldmanjoe

PB blaster and liquid wrench are my go too`s, I was worried that you were going to say wd40
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JasonGotaProblem

So my 712z main gear will not budge. I don't see anything on the schematic that would lock it in place

Wompus Cat

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on July 25, 2022, 11:50:23 PMSo my 712z main gear will not budge. I don't see anything on the schematic that would lock it in place

When you say Won't Budge   .
Do you mean it won't turn or you can not Remove it from the Housing ?
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Wompus Cat on July 26, 2022, 12:15:39 AM
Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on July 25, 2022, 11:50:23 PMSo my 712z main gear will not budge. I don't see anything on the schematic that would lock it in place

When you say Won't Budge   .
Do you mean it won't turn or you can not Remove it from the Housing ?
Can't remove and can barely turn. The handle side brass washer doesn't budge either.

oldmanjoe

Did you unscrew the handle ?

Midway Tommy

Well use that little oil port and squirt some liquid wrench in there and work it around and back and forth. Are the main gear and pinion binding? Also, make sure the A/R dawg is disengaged, not just the lever. Once you get the two gears unbound and have a little slack you can tap the threaded end of the main gear using a hammer with a hardwood block in between. Don't hit it hard though, tap it just light enough that it will move sideways on the pinion worm gear. It should slide sideways while turning the pinion.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

JasonGotaProblem

Thank you joe for the vote of confidence.

I managed to get it off, it was badly salt-locked. I ended up putting it in the vise. If the reel didn't already have a broken foot (another story) I wouldn't be so bold. But hey it worked.

That's an oil port? Brilliant. This is my first time with a proper egg beater. Such simplicity eluded me.

Wompus Cat

Now that you have the Gear out of the housing and if you want to reuse it on another Housing or Repair the one you have , look closely at the slot on the shaft if it has one where the oil hole lines up with as they get Burred a bit and will cause the problem you had .You can use a Jewelers File or Emory Board to dress those edges up then use some FINE sandpaper on the shaft to polish it a bit .

JasonGotaProblem

That slot was caked with salt, and the oil hole didn't look like an oil hole because it appears completely filled in. Like there's a piece of metal there. Whyyyyy

Below is a pic of the busted foot. I will not be buying a new housing for this reel. I've never been a huge fan of recessed reel spools (I recognize the nostalgia factor for many of you but im too young to share it), so I wont be investing many resources in a reel I won't use a lot. I'll do drags if stock is not CF, and the factory bearing is still good so no change needed there. Given the quality nature of the internal metals, it'll likely be used for wading because dropping it in salt wouldn't necessarily end the day, as long as i clean it when i get home.

The decision is to cut it off and leave it short, or just file it smooth and leave it diagonal. Suspect a reel seat will need to be present to properly answer that question. I suspect if I cut it off it'll still fit into a fuji seat just fine, but maybe not a size 16 seat which is what I have the most of currently.

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on July 26, 2022, 02:23:45 PMThat slot was caked with salt, and the oil hole didn't look like an oil hole because it appears completely filled in. Like there's a piece of metal there. Whyyyyy

Below is a pic of the busted foot. I will not be buying a new housing for this reel. I've never been a huge fan of recessed reel spools (I recognize the nostalgia factor for many of you but im too young to share it), so I wont be investing many resources in a reel I won't use a lot. I'll do drags if stock is not CF, and the factory bearing is still good so no change needed there. Given the quality nature of the internal metals, it'll likely be used for wading because dropping it in salt wouldn't necessarily end the day, as long as i clean it when i get home.

The decision is to cut it off and leave it short, or just file it smooth and leave it diagonal. Suspect a reel seat will need to be present to properly answer that question. I suspect if I cut it off it'll still fit into a fuji seat just fine, but maybe not a size 16 seat which is what I have the most of currently.

I would not cut it off as you got enough there to hold pretty good . Might do a little filing on the Rough edge but the Fish Don't CARE .............