Penn 712Z opportunities

Started by sandbar, July 18, 2022, 10:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

I would just mount the reel the way it is for now ,time will produce another casting or a fix ......

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

sandbar

I think I've been hijacked. 😎
My bearing is still soaking in PB Blaster. Film at 11:00.

JasonGotaProblem

Oh man I'm sorry I thought you were sorted out already. My bad.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Shellbelly

Quote from: sandbar on July 27, 2022, 01:54:58 AMI think I've been hijacked. 😎
Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on July 27, 2022, 02:20:01 AMOh man I'm sorry I thought you were sorted out already. My bad.
You guys are killin' me!  LMAO  I love this place!
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Shellbelly on July 27, 2022, 02:59:07 AM
Quote from: sandbar on July 27, 2022, 01:54:58 AMI think I've been hijacked. 😎
Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on July 27, 2022, 02:20:01 AMOh man I'm sorry I thought you were sorted out already. My bad.
You guys are killin' me!  LMAO  I love this place!
Naaaaaaaaaaaa  Just shooting the breeze , waiting on your bearing soaking and keeping your thread alive !
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Shellbelly

My bearings are good for now.  I'm just hangin' out in the cheap seats watching and learning from the best.  Sometimes it's funny, but always helpful.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

sandbar

Just tried again.
It's not moving yet.
Maybe the ball peen is too gentle.

Framing hammer or baby sledge? 😶

Sprayed again and being patient.

Making popcorn.

PacRat

How much heat have you tried? I bet you could get it good and hot in the cab of your trunk and wouldn't risk bubbling the paint.

-Mike

sandbar

I have not tried heat yet. I'm a bit hesitant to try that method due to possible paint damage.
I'll get more aggressive this weekend.

sandbar

She's out!
I used my Wagner paint removal heat gun at 450° and never got smoke but held it until it got too hot to hold. A couple of blows and success.
I guess the next move is to cut off the nut.
Looking at the recess where the bearing sat, I would appreciate wisdom on how to clean it up.
I plan to remove one side of the bearing shield and service it.

JasonGotaProblem

I'd sooner send you a new bearing myself than see you put all that effort in, just to run the reel with an old bearing. It warrants replacement.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

sandbar

I promise to do what is best for the old gal. It can't hurt to remove the shield and investigate. I appreciate your concern and expertise.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: sandbar on August 01, 2022, 12:33:44 AMI promise to do what is best for the old gal. It can't hurt to remove the shield and investigate. I appreciate your concern and expertise.

I am with Jason on this .Put a NEW Bearing in it.
You wasted enough time getting the Damn thing apart...lol
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

sandbar

Used a Dremel to cut the nut.
It's not wasted time if you are learning. I used an ice pick to remove one side of the shield.
I learned to look for a retaining clip before I try that approach in the future.
9747CF9A-77F5-48A5-A51D-4C691760165D.jpeg

foakes

I will drop these off at the Post Office tomorrow morning, Steve —-

N/C.

Just clean out the bearing cup in the frame with a small wire wheel on a Dremel.

Then burnish the rearward brass sleeve that the worm pinion is supported by with a 1/8" drill bit covered in "0000" steel wool.

Grease the bearing inside and outside so that it will be both protected and will remove 10 years from now when it is serviced again.

Should be good to go after that.

These are very tough and high quality reels.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.