New 12/0 Senator

Started by silverlake250r, March 24, 2022, 02:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverlake250r

Hi, I'm new here, and hopefully in the right place after joining some other boards and sending several emails with no luck. I just bought a new 12/0 Senator on sale, and I want to upgrade the drag, plus anything else that needs it after that. Do these upgrades exist anymore? All I can find is old posts form a few years back, but can't seem to find anywhere to actually buy parts. Thanks, Marc

RowdyW

Welcome! Have you tried Mystic Reel Parts? They should have almost everything you might need. Carbon Fiber drags are still available. Now tell us a little about yourself & where you are from.       Rudy

silverlake250r

Thanks Rudy, I will give them a try, but from what I can tell, they have mostly stock parts. My reel is new, so nothing needs replaced, I was just hoping to improve the drag numbers and beef up the reel.

I'm an avid fisherman from Michigan, but I travel quite a bit to fish for saltwater fish, especially sharks and tuna. Some of my favorite catches have been BFT out of Chatham on spinning gear, and a number of 6-7 foot sharks on spinning gear including Blacktips, Bulls, Lemons, and Sandbars. I'm interested in targeting larger sharks and thought a 12/0 would be a good place to start on a reasonable budget, but with the lack of upgrades that seem to be available, I'm thinking I may be better off returning it and getting an 80w, although I may have to hide that one from my wife!

Cortez_Conversions

If the reel is still in new condition, fish it as is until you get a feel for it.
About all that reel needs(that's available) is a stainless steel main gear sleeve and dog to prevent the handle from rounding off the end of the sleeve.
Here's the link to my website:
https://www.cortezconversions.com/product-page/penn-senator-custom-gear-sleeves

Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

foakes

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on March 24, 2022, 08:36:33 PMIf the reel is still in new condition, fish it as is until you get a feel for it.
About all that reel needs(that's available) is a stainless steel main gear sleeve and dog to prevent the handle from rounding off the end of the sleeve.
Here's the link to my website:
https://www.cortezconversions.com/product-page/penn-senator-custom-gear-sleeves

Tom

Tom hit the nail on the head, Silverlake —-

SS Sleeve & a good, tight handle nut are essential.

The only other thing I would do —-

Take out the drag stack —- and grease up the HT-100 CF's with Cal's drag grease.

This reel will perform very well.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Donnyboat

Hi & welcome to this forum, great helpful people here, they have`nt made Senator 12/0 reels for some time now, but the 10/0 parts fit, internally, they are the same, the 12/0 just has wider foot, posts & spool, Tom is a great guy to work with, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

silverlake250r

Thanks guys! I ordered the SS sleeve and dog, as well as some Cal's. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm listening. It's too bad the drag inserts aren't around anymore, I'd be all over that.

foakes

Sounds like you are on the right track —- plus know what you are doing.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Penn

Quote from: Donnyboat on March 24, 2022, 11:57:48 PMHi & welcome to this forum, great helpful people here, they have`nt made Senator 12/0 reels for some time now, but the 10/0 parts fit, internally, they are the same, the 12/0 just has wider foot, posts & spool, Tom is a great guy to work with, good luck, cheers Don.

We just made 100 116L reels last week ???

tony

silverlake250r

Tony, I noticed that there are only 115L reels listed on the Penn website....this wasn't the case a few weeks ago...why is that?

Gfish

Great fish pictures, that's how it's done.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

silverlake250r

Thanks, I actually keep a log of all of my species caught on hook and line, check it out!

goo.gl/JEk7kq

Gfish

Excellent! Ohana peoples this one is well worth checking-out.
Good close-up photos, from all over the Western Hemisphere, with common names, species names and catch locations, organized by family names. Grab a cup of coffee or a beer or a sandwhich , there's 245 well organized pictures.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

steelfish

Quote from: silverlake250r on March 25, 2022, 07:29:35 PMThanks, I actually keep a log of all of my species caught on hook and line, check it out!

goo.gl/JEk7kq

wow, I never noticed this post, great way to keep a log of your trophies

I will do that .. some day, although it will be way shorter than yours  ;D
The Baja Guy

Donnyboat

Hi Silverlake, another worth whyle up grade, is a larger handle, Alan should have some in stock, there great, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat