Spoofer cradle rod garage sale find

Started by seavandal, July 25, 2022, 02:03:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seavandal

Finding this at a garage sale this weekend was a bonus! The green wraps on the white rod with the chrome Spoofer and round butt ball caught my eye pretty fast. I pulled it out of the dusty and cobweb corner of the old garage and took it up to the lady to ask how much. Two bucks, and get that ugly thing out of my face! I guess spiders weren't her thing.
I got home and hit the rod with 0000 steel wool and rubbing alcohol. I'm not sure what blank it is. No identifying marks. Under the white paint on the rod, I can see kind of a pink beige fiberglass  rod blank. Any ideas as to what rod manufacturer it could be?
I cleaned and oiled the Aftco rollers and buffed out the guides a little. I sanded the foregrip since it was a little shiny.
I had an old 6/0 Senator in the garage that fit perfectly. The rod is probably rated at 40 to 50lb.
Ok. So, I have 2 Nep-tuna cradle reels with 20 and 30lb rods. This heavier rod fits right into my lineup.
I plan on using it with my vintage rod belt on the next trip out on my boat looking for yellowtail, tuna, and Mako sharks.
Here are a couple of pics of the rod and reel.
Tight lines!
Chris

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

1badf350

Rod looks similar to a Garcia Conolon
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

seavandal

I think you nailed it 1bad350. I looked up Conolon trolling rods and there is a white one. Here is my meager 4 cradle rod collection. The Brown Spoofer is coated with what looks like thick white rubbery paint. The rod is a Saber Nylon Epoxy rod.

1badf350

Cool!
I have two white big game Garcia Conolon rods with the exact some color and style wrap, exact same color butt, exact same grip
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

CooldadE

Nice find ! I love those Spoofers. A poor man's Neptuna... I will have one! I've got a T60XN reel that would rock on a Spoofer rod...

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare