My new toy

Started by tincanary, August 17, 2022, 12:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tincanary

A collector friend of mine was 'trimming the fat' so to say, getting rid of all of his non-ABU reels in his collection.  This gentleman has over 300 reels, most new in box that he displays in his home, with lots of very rare limited run models.  While this reel was lightly used, it's no worse for the wear.  The reel in question is a Daiwa Millionaire Ringa SSS, made for members of Daiwa's Heartland Club in Japan. These things retailed new for $700 back in '08.  I asked what he wanted, and it was mine for a song complete with box and all manuals.

As some of you know, I live life fishing light and ultralight tackle and it was already on my mind to make this a finesse reel.  According to what I could find on the Japanese websites, this guy was designed to throw from 3/8 on up.  First thing I did was order a spool from Roro.  As you can see, this spool is much lighter than the factory unit which weighs 16g.  It's 34mm diameter and also works with the Steez, Zillion, and Ryoga platforms.

While I had her all broken down, I decided to add a drag clicker.  Fishing is much more exciting when you can hear a fish pulling line, so this was a must for me.  Here she is all broken down and cleaned.  I did need to use a longer pinion shaft for the spool to center correctly, already had one of those in the parts bin.  It's the same shaft used in the Alphas platform, sold here as the Team Daiwa Sol (early 2000s) and Daiwa SV105SH and SV105P (mid 2010s).

After reassembly, it shed a little over a quarter ounce.  Down to 6.8oz from the factory 7.1oz.  One issue though, the mag brake is too strong for this spool.  It's all or nothing as it was designed to control a much heavier spool.  For the heck of it, I swapped side plated with my Millionaire CT SV, which is a factory finesse oriented round reel and jackpot!  The range of braking is perfect and now I have a Millionaire CT magnet assembly en route from Japan to get this thing right.  I also obtained a duralumin gear set from a Daiwa Alphas 103, which should get this thing down to 6.5oz as the factory brass is a lot heavier and will make for some great weight savings.  Speaking of which, the gear sets from the Alphas platform are a direct replacement for these Millionaires and available in 5.8, 6.8, and 7.2:1.  Since this reel will be fishing small crankbaits, I stayed with the factory 5.8:1 ratio, which is good for about 24" per turn.

Hopefully I'll have it on the water sometime next week.  My parts source in Japan is shipping my parts out today, so I'm expecting to have them Monday or Tuesday.

Wompus Cat

Beautifull Reel !!! Looks Extremely Well Built.
Thanks for posting . Didn't Know this Reel Existed .
Does your Guy in Japan have any Shimano Parts for the older STELLA series  ?
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

tincanary

Quote from: Wompus Cat on August 17, 2022, 12:26:42 PMBeautifull Reel !!! Looks Extremely Well Built.
Thanks for posting . Didn't Know this Reel Existed .
Does your Guy in Japan have any Shimano Parts for the older STELLA series  ?

It isn't a person I go through, but a business.  https://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/optionparts/  If you look under their reel parts and repair section, you can search by model.  When you get to the model you want, they have a numbering system that corresponds to the schematic, and you just fill in what you need.  Shipping for the parts was about $20.

thorhammer

Bob, never fail to impress.

steelfish

wow, beautiful reel, congrats for the new toy
The Baja Guy

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

redsetta

Impressive work!
Thanks for sharing the process.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer