"Silicone Paste"

Started by nelz, August 15, 2022, 03:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

The prior to use maintenance of most wire rope used in torpedo handling is treatment with WRL191. The stuff is amazing, keeps line slipping through blocks with tens of tons of pressure with no noticeable stiction. Always figured it would be to spendy for reel maintenance, but I am a believer, some of the rope is stored in free flood areas and submerged for months under high sea pressure and speed, and there is still a layer on it when it is needed for use.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

foakes

Quote from: Ron Jones on August 16, 2022, 02:13:52 PMThe prior to use maintenance of most wire rope used in torpedo handling is treatment with WRL191. The stuff is amazing, keeps line slipping through blocks with tens of tons of pressure with no noticeable stiction. Always figured it would be to spendy for reel maintenance, but I am a believer, some of the rope is stored in free flood areas and submerged for months under high sea pressure and speed, and there is still a layer on it when it is needed for use.
The Man

Thanks for your professional and experienced observations about WRL191S, Master Chief —-

I always figured if it was good enough to be used by all arms of the Military, Offshore Oil Rigs, Major Port Crane Operations, Aviation, Railroads, and more —- it must be the best, and expensive. 

I was right on the excellent part, wrong on the expensive part.  A little goes a long ways.  It is actually very economical.

Another excellent grease I use regularly is Yamaha Marine.

Alan told me years ago that he figured if it was good enough for the outdrives on vessels in Salt Water —- it would be good enough for reels also.  It, along with Penn Blue —- are excellent greases.  And also very economical.

For spinners, I need to cut the Yamaha & Penn with oil.  But both mix well with the WRL191S.  For Conventionals —- just use them straight.

I have probably had a few drops in my Cheerios by accident with no ill effects after 20+ years of usage.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

nelz

Is WRL191S a grease or an oil?

Wompus Cat

Quote from: nelz on August 16, 2022, 04:03:31 PMIs WRL191S a grease or an oil?

According to Fred it's a Cereal Topping   ;D
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

jurelometer

Thanks for the generous offer Fred, but me being too cheap to shell out 7 bucks for an oiler shouldn't be a reason to impose on you to load a ketchup bottle and post a package.

But I will take advantage f your generous offer when I also need a part or two.  You can toss it in the package, and I won't complain :D

-J

jurelometer

My complaint on the Jaymor website was not so much the lack of any technical information, it was more about the QVC style Pitch.  I was expecting to see an offer for a free set of Ginsu knives "if you order now".

And they should at least list the viscosity.

I am wondering if 191s is useful for the low friction parts used in casting like spool ball bearings and levelwind worms.  That is about all that I use oils for in reels.

Usually a product that is both a protective coating and a lubricant is a compromise.  The coating has to adhere to the surfaces to protect them. But if these are sliding or rolling surfaces, the coating either  has to come off of one of the surfaces or shear internally in order for the parts to move.  Which means more friction.  But the lowest friction oil won't stay where you put it, hence the need for immersing the components in an oil bath in this situation.  Not suitable for something like a reel.

So the trick is usually not finding a magic product, but rather the product that has the right properties for the job.  Telling me that this is the right product for every job is telling me that you are selling snake oil.  Which is a shame if the product is actually good stuff.

-J.

Dominick

Does anyone know where I can buy some snake oil?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shellbelly

Dominick......Rattlesnake Round-up festival in Taylor, TX.  I don't think it's good on Cheerios.  Fried snake ain't that great, either.  But, as a Texan, I had to eat it and "like" it.  Softshell turtle, on the other hand, is excellent.

I've used silicone-based products on guns and reels and never experienced gummy build-ups or problems with tight tolerances.  Nothing is going to keep grit off a worm gear, but silicone keeps it slick.  CRC spray also adds a bit of shine to dull bakelite...with a little buffing.  It seems to solidify the old waxy grease left over after initial removal making it brittle/powdery and easier to completely remove from tight spots.  Hard to explain that, but it works well for me. 

I've warmed up some A5 shotguns over the years at waterfowl and the silicone stuff just works.  I kept a damp rag of it handy in a ziplock and wiped my guns down before and after.  I can attest to its rust prevention.  Never had a problem with it on stock finishes but I would be careful about flooding interior bare wood surfaces.  I don't know how it would affect bare wood or if it could be removed.

It gets my vote for use on the boy toys.   
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

JasonGotaProblem

Thinking about it more, it did get put to the test. I had a daiwa BG go underwater in salt for a good 30 seconds. It got a good rinse after but it was 3 days before I could service it. There was trapped water inside but no evidence of any trouble and it works good as new again.

Kind of a pain to remove from tight spaces though, compared to some other greases.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Dominick on August 17, 2022, 04:03:57 AMDoes anyone know where I can buy some snake oil?  Dominick
There was a Salesman came by shop  YEARS AGO selling SLICK 50 oil additive .
It cost 50 BUCKS a can (that's how long ago it was in a CAN) .
So to me he made a SLICK 50 alright if you were Dumb enough to buy it .

Shellbelly

I remember that stuff!  It sat on the shelf next to the instant engine overhaul juice...in the snake oil section.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Shellbelly on August 17, 2022, 04:20:15 PMI remember that stuff!  It sat on the shelf next to the instant engine overhaul juice...in the snake oil section.

Bill Mac
The Midnight Cowboy WBAP 820 AM 50 Thousand Watts
use to Hawk that Stuff . MOTO NEW.
Save your Money Folks on that Expensive Ring or Valve Job.
Put a Can of Moto New in your engine and it will repair those Burnt Valves and Busted Rings.
Bill Mac was Famous for discovering Lee Ann Rimes. 

Shellbelly

That was when 80K was a lotta miles on a motor.

Lunker Larry

What is SuperLube?
What is Syncolon® (PTFE)?
Prounounced: SIN-coh-luhn

Syncolon® is our branded Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE). Super Lube® is enhanced with Syncolon® (PTFE), which is one of the most slippery materials known to science today.

All surfaces have microscopic irregularities, which create friction when rubbed against each other. The introduction of Syncolon® into these irregularities smoothes out the surfaces and offers a long-term solid lubricating compound which enhances the base oil, reducing the wear and sticking that friction causes.

The micron-sized particles of Syncolon® in Super Lube® are carried to these surface irregularities by the base lubricant and are ironed into place by the action of the two moving surfaces. A proprietary process keeps the Syncolon® particles dispersed in the base lubricant assuring a continual replenishment of Syncolon® to the surface irregularities.

Is PTFE same as Teflon?
PTFE is the shortened name of the chemical polytetrafluoroethylene, and Teflon is the trade name of the same polymer.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?