Tyrnos 16 Won't go into free spool

Started by retiredandfishing, July 05, 2022, 09:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredandfishing

I have a Tyrnos 16 in shop that a customer took apart and then could not get back together. I had not had a Tyrnos apart before, but it seemed pretty straight forward. I cannot get the drag to fully disengage, it will not go into free spool.  The thing I noted on this reel is the Ball bearing (key 1161), that sits atop the pressure relief spring (key 1162) does not freely slide up and down on the spool shaft (key 1163).  It seems jammed on the shaft, partially depressed down from the pocket it's supposed to sit in.  The bearing I would think should move with that spring and nestle in the pinion guard pocket with the spring pressing upwards assuring the drag plate moves off the drag.  Just want to make sure this is the case.  In other lever drags that is how it works.  Just want to make sure the reel works that way, before I start trying to take that bearing off. I see no keeper that would prevent the bearing from coming off the shaft. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Steve

retiredandfishing

I'll answer my own question.  Through reading past posts on lever drag reels I realize what I have is a stuck bearing on the spool shaft.  Everything else checks out fine. No hang ups in the left side plate slot, no binding of the spool on the frame.  Just no movement of the spool shaft through the bearing.  I've read on past posts that this could be caused by storing the reel with drag on.  I'll ask the customer and find out if that is what happened.

Steve