Recent yard sale find.

Started by smazzola, August 05, 2022, 02:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smazzola

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg   

Any history, value, or general information on these two reels would be appreciated. Both reels a functioning like they should, my plan is to service them and go fish them for rock cod off the Oregon, Northern California coast in a couple of weeks. Have to put these old bad boys back into service.
😄

Wompus Cat

The Penn is a little Desireable with the Round Wood Handle Knob and the Checkered Click Button ,(not gonna send the Kids to College But a good Keeper )
Can't see the foot very well but it has the wide seat profile many were ground off to fit modern Poles, Plus IF it has the foot that will accommodate  a Rod Clamp ,Another Plus .
Lot's of Penn Heads Here that know a lot more than me on these  but I tink ya done Good .......

The Old FLOOOGER is a reel Knuckle Buster First Class and if you hang a biggun with heavy line on it be prepared to go swimming if you don't wanna lose the Reel cuz they AIN'T NO DRAG . That hunk of Leather and your Thumb is all ya got  and when the line spools out you are  yon yown ( didn't know my old man spoke Chinese till I left home at 17 and that's what he told me )...lol  but a good old work horse for sure  and it has a Round Wooden Knob too..Both REELS Definately  are worth servicing and putting to work .There are
some Drag mods  for  the Handle to make somewhat of a useable drag. you can Buy for the Pflueger IF you can Find them 
Post some pics of your progress.
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

oldmanjoe

Both are nice reels .  The Pflueger will test your eye, right hand and left arm coordination .
  They will clean up well..
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Shellbelly

That Long Beach needs to be restored and retired.  If you want to fish with a Long Beach, newer ones are still under 50 bucks and parts are readily available.  The Interocean is another story.  Probably would have to keep a couple of clunkers around in case something blows out.

Wouldn't be real hard to spruce 'em up.

You did good, Sir!
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

smazzola

Anyone want to take a stab on year? After reading (The Chronological History of Penn) I'm guessing mid to late 1930s on the Penn. A look on the Internet, Pflueger might be the same. I will do a follow up post when I service them, I'm going to keep both reels with out much shine externally. I'm going to have to fish them enough to catch a fish or two.I will post that when that happens. Thanks
😄

happyhooker

Maxed Out

The waffle clicker button is pre 1939. There should be a yardage stamp under the seat. 250yds is a long beach60. 300yds is a 65. Your long beach is easily worth $75 as is
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Maxed Out

Ok, now I recognize that knob from the very first year of the 9/0. (1936). My educated guess is that's the year of your reel
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Donnyboat

hi Smaz, thanks for this post very interesting, the Pflueger reel has 1885 on it, but that could be the year they applied for the patent rights, I think the green handle Acron had 1893 on it but they did not start making them till 1916, from the reserch I have completed on this forum, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

smazzola

Thank you all for the input, I've learn a lot about the reels. Yes, the Penn Long Beach is a 300 yard reel, stamped on the bottom of the reel seat. Penn 65. Steve
😄

smazzola

The early Penn Long Beach 65, no part replacement needed, cleaned & oil/grease,  installed new THM 100 drag washers. Smooth results. The Pflueger cleaned and lube, also work very smooth. I'd like to catch some fish, then retire them to my Man Cave. I have no shortage of reels to fish with. Steve   PS:  Sorry for the repeat pictures not sure why it posted that way.
😄