Fluorescent Tombstones?

Started by jgp12000, July 27, 2022, 07:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

I just learned after 59 years Fluorescent bulb sockets are called "Tombstones".Anywho, I went to replace a bulb over my mother's sink.The cabinet man and the electrician must have not been communicating when her house was built the cabinet trim comes down so far the only way a short armed beer belly guy with a big #### head can get in there is to put a board across the sink so I can sit back towards the wall and be able to see and reach the light and get my big #### head under the cabinet trim. After all this contortion the"tombstones" are rotated so the pins will not go in? I have never seen this happen but I thought the tombstones can be rotated somehow,most fixtures I have dealt with the tombstones are fixed?   

Shellbelly

Never thought this would be something I'd ever say but, sounds like you need new tombstones.  I've never seen one rotate, but I have seen ones that have deteriorated.  Coincidentally, my moms fixture over the sink gave up after 70 years.  The rivets holding the connectors had rusted away. And yes, these aren't in a nice place.  I didn't say nice things while I was dealing with replacing it.

I did get a big hug and some pie afterwards, though.  Life is goooood with pie.   
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Keta

About 1/2 of the ones I run into are the rotating ones.   I do replacement LED tubes and rewire fixtures for LR funds and deal with them all of the time. I prefer the rotating ones.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

oldmanjoe

Just stick a screwdriver in it and line it up , or a Popsicle stick if you are scared ..
     The old ones are ceramic and the new cheap one are plastic .   
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Bill B

Except the ancient fixtures, all I have seen rotate.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

jgp12000

Lee,I just rewired my mother's bathroom fixture, it had 4-8ft T12 bulbs and 2 ballasts.None of them were working,new ballasts are $50 ea so rather than test them,I opted for LEDS 4-8ft T8 4k lumens each and to be done with it. She needs sunglasses to go in the bathroom now...I used the push in wire nuts for most of the wiring.I like them but,have never had to remove wires from one yet.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

jgp12000

Joe I turned the switch off and checked both sockets with my no touch voltage checker and then put heat shrink on a flat head screwdriver just to be safe,I have been bit a few times and do not like it... her breaker box labels leave alot to be desired.