Little reel display Finished

Started by Shellbelly, August 05, 2022, 09:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shellbelly

Found this at a local antique store.  Being fond of boxes and the 1-buck price it flew home with us.  I thought at first it was a recipe box but after getting it home, I noticed that the hinges aren't on the same side as all the others I've seen.  Soooo, it becomes a little reel display.  Refinishing is in progress.  I'll post when it's done.

I've been wanting to make a reel box and I think this will be a small-scale model to ponder about.

If anybody has seen one like it and knows what its original purpose was, I'd like to know.  My guess is it's part of a set of various-sized boxes that were inside of a bigger box.

BTW, not making fun of Little Reels...it a Little BOX...for...well, you know....those.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Wompus Cat

Great Re- Purposing of an Old Item there.
I bet it was a Recipe Box and quite well built with the hinges put in that way.
Here is one Quite Similar on Etsy

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Reeltyme

Looks like an original old reel display box to me! 😁

Dominick

I vote reel display.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

CooldadE

I like it ! I would have paid twice as much for it...
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

philaroman

I had a chair w/ similar design, that flipped up / unfolded into a step-ladder
box looks strong enough for that, but too small

oldmanjoe

Sounds like a high school wood shop reunion recipe box / scroll saw box and the convertible chair / ladder   
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Midway Tommy

I'm thinking recipe box, but it's sure making a cool reel display box!
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Shellbelly

All finished, loaded, and parked.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)

foakes

Looks great!

Nice display.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reeltyme

Nice. A pleasant look back before going out the door into the "reel" world.

oldmanjoe

I like the look of the drift wood lure display !!!
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Shellbelly

Thanks!  Bingo's, Humps, Mirrolures, etc.  The wood comes from the beach.  Pretty versatile to use inside or out in the landscape. 

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Ron Jones

About time we've had a plinth thread around here again!
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"