Braid or mono for surface iron reel?

Started by pjstevko, August 07, 2022, 04:59:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

Quote from: steelfish on August 09, 2022, 12:08:51 AM
Quote from: pjstevko on August 07, 2022, 04:59:26 AMI've been doing more fishing out of San Diego and wanna try my hand at throwing surface irons with a conventional reel. I usually use a spinner to throw snipers, poppers and surface irons but I wanna embrace the SoCal tradition but don't know what to spool the reel with? I can't cast a conventional further then 20' and I'm worried if I spool the reel with braid I'll birdnest the crap out of it.

Straight mono?
Braid to 75 yard mono topshot?
Braid to 3' leader?

Pj

well, in order to give you a proper advice it would be good to know what reel are going to be using.

I'll be using a gold version Trini 16

Cor

That reel casts mono superbly.

A short generalisation, there are many factors that affect this. (i use both for casting lures at fish)

1) mono consistently casts better then Braid
2) If you want to use braid make sure your conventional reel has a good cast control
   system, preferably magnetic and keep it fairly tight
3) Mono needs to be replaced regularly and watch for damage.  0.5 mm of good casting mono
   is fine for most applications
4) This is controversial, but I believe l lose more fish on braid then mono.

Most of what is stated above I would agree with.

Cornelis

steelfish

Quote from: pjstevko on August 16, 2022, 04:09:11 AMI'll be using a gold version Trini 16

that's a good reel, I regret selling mine few months ago.

I now using an okuma solterra 10 SLX instead, not the best for surface iron but its small, strong and have cast control feature and dont forget a thrust bearing on a $100 reel, nice.
The Baja Guy

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!