Started a full cage for the 614

Started by WVHillbilly, August 07, 2022, 07:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhc

Hope you come up with an easier solution than I did - I was having trouble aligning the holes on stands and spacer bars and ended up making templates with alignment posts, it's a lot of messing around to start with but makes it easier. Started with a jigmaster hole pattern with my 'underhead' project https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=26065.0
Also used the same process with a squidder one piece frame https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=28033.0
Hope that gives you some ideas.

Mike

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

WVHillbilly

Quote from: mhc on August 21, 2022, 01:53:37 PMHope you come up with an easier solution than I did - I was having trouble aligning the holes on stands and spacer bars and ended up making templates with alignment posts, it's a lot of messing around to start with but makes it easier. Started with a jigmaster hole pattern with my 'underhead' project https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=26065.0
Also used the same process with a squidder one piece frame https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=28033.0

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Mike

I use a similar process but hole number one has GOT to be spot on or very, very close ... or things go to hell from there.
Feeshin is Feeshin

oldmanjoe

I don`t know how i missed this thread all these years , but i am going back for a slow read ...
    Lots of jig engineering going on .

WELL i drop this in the wrong thread , was suppose to go in  .  https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=26065.0
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

WVHillbilly

Posting cause not everything in life goes as planned. Not proud of the fug up, but such is life. Decided to drill the cross holes slightly over sized instead of press fit, to allow some degree of error ... broke through. i will NOT be happy with this even if I could save it. So back to square one and a better plan, setup and execution. Rather embarrassed to even post this, TBH the inside edge chamfer likely caused the deflection is my guess. Aint gonna be straight if it don't start straight.
Feeshin is Feeshin

oldmanjoe

Don`t be embarrassed You didn`t invent the deep hole blow out . I would still hang on to it .
       I would press round stock in the hole or holes and try a new location call it the prototype .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

thorhammer

Hey brother, I got pulled out of town, actually the country, but gonna mail your seats when I get back. I imagine this won't be your only one. One is the Tib foot which is likely what Tom sent, since my spare Tib feet came from replacing with some he color anodized. The other is the Penn Int foot. Yours to play with as you choose. Just post pics :)

JasonGotaProblem

To dare greatly is to fail occasionally. Such is life. Looking forward to seeing round 2.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Wompus Cat

Ain't heard Narry  a Word  from the HilBilly ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,in over a month . Hope all is well with him .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Wompus Cat on September 27, 2022, 02:08:51 AMAin't heard Narry  a Word  from the HilBilly ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,in over a month . Hope all is well with him .
We may have bored him
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

philaroman

we didn't bore HIM
HE bored a hunk of aluminum (and botched it, a little?)
I have faith he'll bore the next one, just right & tell us all about it... 

WVHillbilly

WompusCat was kind enough to send me a message and jogged my bean. Had to reset my damn password too. Been getting back up to speed after having a mild stroke. Doing just fine, but in wifes eyes I gotta eat peas and carrots for a bit.
Feeshin is Feeshin

WVHillbilly

Quote from: oldmanjoe on August 21, 2022, 03:42:35 PMDon`t be embarrassed You didn`t invent the deep hole blow out . I would still hang on to it .
       I would press round stock in the hole or holes and try a new location call it the prototype .
i will likely do just that. Thank you kindly for reenforcing that idea
Feeshin is Feeshin

WVHillbilly

Quote from: philaroman on September 27, 2022, 02:36:23 PMwe didn't bore HIM
HE bored a hunk of aluminum (and botched it, a little?)
I have faith he'll bore the next one, just right & tell us all about it...

LOL! Great group of guys here
Feeshin is Feeshin

jurelometer

Yikes-  Glad to see you are back in action! 

-J

WVHillbilly

Weather is cooling down, and bean coming up to speed so I plan to get back on this very soon. I have another chunk of material, but may try to still use the mess up. I may have no real choice but to make a jig to make sure everything stays and locates. My primary screw up was that inside chamfer. I should have left the edge square and dealt with at chamfer later. It was just to allow clearance for the metal side plate rings. Worse case is I turn it into cross bars
Feeshin is Feeshin