the new avet handle

Started by alantani, August 12, 2022, 04:54:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

tom made this for me a while back, but i'm finally getting around to posting the installation tutorial.  we've eliminated the need to drill, but actually bolting the handle on has proven to be a little more tedious than intended.  we want to get rid of the oval grip and bolt on something a little larger.  basically, you remove the old rubber grip and you're are left with the arm and a stainless steel post.  no more drilling.

for tools, you will need a size "O" phillips, a dental pick, a quarter inch driver extension, and a flat driver bit.

back out the two small screws and remove the handle cap.

you'll see a tiny hex nut.  to remove this, use the 1/4" drive extension.  it's a perfect fit!

the oval knob will lift right off. 

but, wait, there's more!  inside the knob are more washers.  beneath the hex nut is a lock washer, then a "D-shaft" washer, and then three flat washers. 

for those of you not familiar with D-shaft washers, they are designed to fit on a shaft with a matching cut out.  you can see it here. 

slide on the new handle, then two of the flat washers, and finally the D-shaft washer.

now install the new screw cap.  if you're lucky, you are done.  ok, it's too tight?  remove a flat washer.  too loose?  add a washer.  generally, two washers works.

you will have these left over parts.  save them.  you never know.....

your new handle is ready to enjoy.  they are $35 each plus shipping! 

thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Almud

Took longer to grab my tools from the garage than to remove and replace the handle! Avet HX R ready to go. :d. 815D6DB1-91FE-477F-B201-8CDA708F0945.jpeg

thorhammer

MarkT

I had Alan install that knob on my HX Raptor while on the boat back in June. Great upgrade on an HX. The handle on the HXW Raptor is similar so I left it stock. I like the standard egg knob on the JX's for yo-yoing.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

RUSTY OLD COLT

Will you be making any smaller sizes for sx series avets ?

alantani

Quote from: RUSTY OLD COLT on April 01, 2023, 07:54:17 PMWill you be making any smaller sizes for sx series avets ?

no plans to.  the difference between the egg shaped grip and my 3/0 grip is very small.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!