Have you use these devices while fishing

Started by oldmanjoe, August 19, 2022, 05:14:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

Looking for one more !!!
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Dominick

Athe very beginning of the video the captain or mate had just run a slender wire up the spine to stop the tuna from shivering. Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shellbelly

Like the dubbed Godzilla movies!!

Anyway, I thought the fighting of a large fish was a plus in fishing.  Didn't it used to be called "playing a fish"? ???  Why send a thing down the line that makes them play out quicker?  Did I miss an evolution that has occurred in the sport or is this a commercial fishing thing to get more pounds to the market?
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Dominick on August 21, 2022, 03:11:36 AMAthe very beginning of the video the captain or mate had just run a slender wire up the spine to stop the tuna from shivering. Dominick
Another Da boy , But i thought most fisher man were quick with the priest or the ice pick ..
      As a kid i have seen from time to time trolling wire used to run up the spine .

The most obvious is what ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

smnaguwa

Thanks Dominick for pointing out the crew performing "ikejime" to stop the tuna from shivering which causes higher lactic acid levels that affects the quality of the flesh especially when served as sashimi. Similarly, a gill ring was used to shorten the fight, to reduce lactic acid levels, in a fish that will be served as sashimi. The electronic shark deterrent is similar to ones by human divers/swimmers/surfers, in places where sharks are common, such as Sharkbanz.

boon

I think another part of the reason for trying to shorten the fight is to beat the fish before the sharks get a hold of it.

oldmanjoe

Who makes those rod holders  ?

Gfish

Interesting. The gill ring might mean less O2, and shortens the fight? good or bad for the flesh quality?
The Japanese are so gadget oriented, a bit like me.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!