Visiting Santa Clara CA for 90 days...what fishing stuff should I take?

Started by CincyDavid, March 16, 2023, 02:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CincyDavid

My wife is a travel nurse and she will be working in Santa Clara for 90 days. I have to pack light but what 2-3 rods and reels and other tackle should I pack?

JasonGotaProblem

Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

sciaenops

If you do freshwater maybe bring a lite/med spinner/bait caster (6-12#) for LM bass in the local reservoirs. Plastic worms, crank baits, drop shot.

Bill B

There are plenty of deep sea boats in the area.  You could probably fish a different boat each week and never step on to the same boat twice.  Rick cod opens May 1st (?).  Not sure if they will be running crab/cod combos when you get there. 

Salmon is a no go (Cal DFG closed salmon this year) but striped bass, halibut, and sturgeon are in the bay.  Farther east is the Sacramento River with plenty of Lg/sm bass, striped bass, sturgeon but a small boat would be needed to be successful.  I haven't fished the San Joaquin River but I hear it's pretty big with the bass fishermen.   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Bryan Young

It truly depends on the type of fishing you would like to do.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

CincyDavid

reelynew

I live in that area as well, but have not fished in the fresh waters here.  I had been recommended to the Lexington Reservoir in Los Gatos, which is pretty close to Santa Clara. 

https://parks.sccgov.org/santa-clara-county-parks/lexington-reservoir-county-park

You're coming at a good time.  We have had so much rain, we are do for a dry spell. 

If you have time, take a ride over to the Santa Cruz pier. 

Ironically, I will be travelling down to the Port Charlotte area this weekend.
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.

sciaenops

Surf fishing is another low budget alternative. Expansive beaches along Monterey Bay from Santa Cruz down to Marina. Surfperch, maybe a striper if you're lucky/persistent. Avoid weekend beach traffic on Hwy 17 if weather clear/decent.

Keta

Depending on water levels there is excellent fishing in the Sierras, a short drive east.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

A trout rod (4-6# test line), a bass rod (6-15# test), and maybe a longer 9' steelhead rod (10-20# test), you can do most fishing in the area.

If you decided to jump on a boat for rock cod, let me know, I got rods and reels you can use if you don't want to carry them or rent.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jurelometer

If you are looking to stay close by, the local reservoirs are all worked pretty hard.  Mostly bass and panfish.  Some trout plantings.  Typical small bass/panfish gear. Don't expect much action, especially if you are shorebound.

Depending  on when you will be out here:  Starting around May, walking the ocean beaches south of Santa Cruz with a spinning rod, casting rubber twisties for surf perch and the occasional striper is also an option.  Think medium sized freshwater spinning outfit, preferably on the long side, but anything will work.  About an hour drive from Santa Clara.  Much more fishing  action and better scenery.

If you can get out on a boat and want action, rockfish (saltwater) will be the ticket.

-J

Gfish

If ya really wanna fish FW, Spring is a good time-a-year. Warm water fish gear-up for the spawn, but as Dave(J) alluded to, there's alota pressure/people and it's not as good as it could be. I grew-up in Alameda Co. (to the NE of Santa Clara Co.) and was surprised once I could get out on my own, how much better more rural places were, even within the State.

The best fishing for me there, was always out on charter boats.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!