Chile Mango Glazed Ribs and More

Started by ChileRelleno, August 28, 2022, 08:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

So over time I've been working on my Al Pastor ribs and I've got'em down pretty good now.

For my day late 54th birthday feast I wanted to try something a little different, and instead of pineapple I went with mango.
And what a pleasant result I had.

Started with some butter and brown sugar in a saucepan and caramelized it.
Then I took some chunky Mango Salsa I bought at Costco and tossed it in the blender to smooth it out, added that into the caramel and let it cook a bit.  Thought it was still a little thin so I added a healthy amount of cornstarch slurry and it thickened up like jelly.
Gave it a taste and decided it need a kick. So I added in a generous jolt of Guajillo chile powder, and now it knew how to get some attention.
So there I was with a new glaze, one with a serious attitude to compliment it's delicious fruitiness.

I rubbed my ribs with my standard pork rub recipe, smoked them over cherry at an average temp of 240° for about seven hours.
I glazed one rack with the Chile Mango, one thick layer about 45 minutes before they were done and then gave them a thin layer when they came out.  The Chile Mango was a big hit with the family, even the In-Laws with their soft mouths got in on them.
I should've just glazed all three racks.

RUBBED

GLAZED

For a side I debated a Wild Rice dish of some sort.
Straight up wild rice?  Wild rice cooked in butter, chicken stock and garlic? Wild rice with vegetable stock and a mix of diced veggies?

Then it came to me, a recipe I'd been wanting to try, Fondant Potatoes.

For best results Fondant potatoes are best done with a starchy potato like Russets, gives the best smooth creamy texture inside.
Peel the taters and cut them into rough cylinders with flat ends, all about the same height, I went about 1-1/2"-2".
Preheat your oven to 350°, and grab an oven safe frying pan, e.g. cast iron.
Add some bacon grease (my choice) you fry them hot and fast like a scallop on both sides till beautifully golden brown and crisp.
Reduce the heat and add a very generous amount of butter and either thyme or rosemary, I used sprigs of fresh rosemary.
Also add some chopped garlic and saute the bottoms of the taters, be sure to spoon some over the tops too.
Be sure to hit them with plenty of salt and pepper.

Now add some vegetable or chicken stock, about a third of the way up the sides of the taters, and transfer to the oven till they're tender.

In about 25-30 minutes they'll be tender, and they'll have soaked up most of that butter and stock.
Spoon what's left across the tops again and serve.
Be prepared to say, "Wow, these are fantastic!" and listen to the compliments.

I also laid out a self service salad bar.

And had a bag of frozen Orange Slices for dessert.
No plated shots, the HERD was hungry and it was best to get mine and get out of the way.

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Dominick

Chile, wow.  The mango idea is a great way to start.  Have you posted your recipe for the dry rub.  I bought some ready made while I was at my cabin but it was a mistake because it contained an inordinate amount of cinnamon. 
the end result was awful as the ribs tasted like porky french toast.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Dominick on August 31, 2022, 05:17:27 AMChile, wow.  The mango idea is a great way to start.  Have you posted your recipe for the dry rub.  I bought some ready made while I was at my cabin but it was a mistake because it contained an inordinate amount of cinnamon. 
the end result was awful as the ribs tasted like porky french toast.  Dominick
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/chiles-basic-pork-and-chicken-rubs.278054/
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Brewcrafter

Taking notes and will do this.  So thankful for Chilerelleno's talent, input and willingness to share with the Ohana!

Shellbelly

You're truly feeding the masses with some good stuff!
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Maxed Out

OMG, I want to take a bite of my cell phone as I'm looking at those beautiful ribs and lip smakin potatoes. FYI, I am up for adoption
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Brewcrafter

Chile is a true gift; like so many of the Ohana when I see a post I pay attention.  Until seeing this Fondant Potatoes were not on my radar, I am definitely going to give them a shot!  So thankful for Chile's recipes! - john

ChileRelleno

Very kind words, I'm flattered....  Flattery will get you fed.
Ragnar Benson: