Main Menu

Ready for Ian?

Started by Shellbelly, September 25, 2022, 07:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shellbelly

I'm watching this storm.  For you guys with larger boats that are in slips, what do you do?  Pump out fuel, leave it, or what?
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

alantani

hope you guys do ok.  a friend of mine was just telling me that he would move to the west side of florida because it never gets hit with hurricanes.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

oldmanjoe

Quote from: alantani on September 25, 2022, 07:52:50 PMhope you guys do ok.  a friend of mine was just telling me that he would move to the west side of florida because it never gets hit with hurricanes.   :-\
He was mistaken , This morning the predicted path was going over the house , but still look that it will wonder west some more .. 
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: oldmanjoe on September 25, 2022, 11:19:38 PM
Quote from: alantani on September 25, 2022, 07:52:50 PMhope you guys do ok.  a friend of mine was just telling me that he would move to the west side of florida because it never gets hit with hurricanes.   :-\
He was mistaken , This morning the predicted path was going over the house , but still look that it will wonder west some more .. 
Yeah right there with you. Well, 20mi north. we got water and plywood. Preggo wife and the baby has some complications. Not gonna risk any extra stress. Even if that means doing unnecessary work.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Shellbelly

"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)

Shellbelly

Quote from: alantani on September 25, 2022, 07:52:50 PMmove to the west side of florida because it never gets hit with hurricanes

Kind of correct, but almost all big storms from the east have crossed over the state and "hit" the west coast on their way out to the Gulf.  No place to hide down there.  It doesn't take much of a hurricane to impact over half the state. 

Best to just go to Louisiana and have some crawfish.

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Shellbelly on September 26, 2022, 12:44:31 AMWhen is she due?
Late December but being induced early. All is well that ends well is what I'm rolling with.

Cor

Best whishes' to all that are effected.   Looks very serious.

Holding thumbs,
Cornelis

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Aiala

I remember reading John D. MacDonald's 1977 novel Condominium about a huge hurricane slamming Florida's west coast... pretty scary.  :(

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Squidder Bidder

Quote from: Shellbelly on September 25, 2022, 07:30:19 PMI'm watching this storm.  For you guys with larger boats that are in slips, what do you do?  Pump out fuel, leave it, or what?

I think the guys with larger boats that aren't easily dry docked and whose boats are located in Florida, Caribbean and such have contingent plans to set up in "hurricane holes" which are natural bodies of salt water with a narrow channel which provides ingress and egress. The efficacy of "hurricane holes" is debated.

Shellbelly

Down here, the Intracoastal canal was the best way out for large boats.  You had to get going before the Corps closed the locks.  There were also floating swing bridges that had to be swung open and could be detached and intentionally sunk if necessary.  Some were able to get their livestock out before the bridges were left open. 

JasonGotaProblem

I finally dug a ditch thru the high points in my side yard. Looks like crap but that's not the point. I used a laser pointer at a specific height and a marker stick with height marked to give myself a grade line. Only about 6" wide though. What do i look like, a backhoe?

Hopefully that translates to the water leaving my back yard instead of sticking around and getting familiar.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on September 26, 2022, 11:25:18 PMI finally dug a ditch thru the high points in my side yard. Looks like crap but that's not the point. I used a laser pointer at a specific height and a marker stick with height marked to give myself a grade line. Only about 6" wide though. What do i look like, a backhoe?

Hopefully that translates to the water leaving my back yard instead of sticking around and getting familiar.
Well you will know if you made the grade , when the water  level Gage starts working .  Than you can lay in the perforated pipe and back fill .  The track is looking better for us .   Stay safe 
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare