Might be getting better at this.

Started by Wolfram M, September 25, 2022, 10:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfram M

We will see how these go. 2 bucks for each of these lures sure beats 16-34$ each to buy the plastic ones.

This should fix the broken link. I still need to put the epoxy on, I'm building a frame that I can spin in the lathe to keep them turning tonight.

Now if the hurricane doesn't thrash the part of florida I'm headed to, things will be OK! Don't mind the little smudge of black on the green one-I brushed it with a painty fingertip and tried my best to clean it off. It'll be fine.

Wolfram M

So, when I got to try these out in the gulf it was a bad day to be fishing. Literally everyone I watch on the ol' Youtubes who fishes the area I was in said that they didn't catch anything either.

Anyway...

The green popper does the thing. Pops like a champ, throws a five gallon bucket of water every jerk, and I swear if the fish chasing it was a little bigger I'd have caught him on it. Still don't know what it was but it had sharp, but smallish teeth, going from the scratches in the finish. It floats and on a steady retrieve it cranks left and right like a crankbait that doesn't dive.

The big purple one is probably just as good-it spits water but doesn't throw it nearly like the big green one does, the swim action is better and it *just* floats. On a steady retrieve, it rolls and wobbles and goes subsurface, about 8" down. It probably would walk like a good torpedo type thing if I was better at doing that. I couldn't find a fish that hated this one enough to try to kill it though.

I am going back right around new years to try again. Is december a good time to try fishing topwaters? Nah. But I won't get another opportunity until spring break...and it could get very difficult to find places that aren't full of boozy college students on the beach.

Gfish

Nice! Indeed you seem to be getting better at it.
What's involved with the painting?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Crow

Yup, they look "fishy" enough to be very effective!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

gstours

Nice job,  your saving money, having fun, and learning stuff.  It's all good 👍.

Wolfram M

The painting is just spray cans, I don't have an airbrush.

I just painted the whole thing white, then shot from the top down with the top color, and on the purple one I rolled it over and shot from the bottom up in silver.

Then I put the black dots on with a fine paintbrush and some Testor's model acrylic.

Then, I mixed up some 30 minute epoxy with some craft store glitter, painted it on with a cheap disposable paintbrush and kept it spinning in my lathe in a wooden frame for 24 hours at about 30RPM, which is as slow as it'll run in back-gear.

Cor

They are very attractive lures and I have no doubt they will catch fish.

Just persist a bit, surely you won't mind that ;D

It's the way you retrieve the device that makes the fish eat it, the fish don't first study the colour scheme and go  ..."mimmmm I like the green one better, or no actually the purple  on second thought" :d
Cornelis

pointbob

Patience comes to those who wait

Wolfram M

Quote from: pointbob on November 08, 2022, 02:20:46 PMaliexpress? where you buy them?

I didn't buy them-I carved them from a wooden block and painted them.