Shimano Spheros 6000FA

Started by Alto Mare, December 18, 2011, 12:13:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Hey guys, I just picked up an older Penn 113h with the brass spool, these are the reels than some of us like to troll with here in the NE...we don't mind the extra waight. The reel appears to be in very good condition, the cost was $40, so I figured that I couldn't go wrong. My question though is for a different reel. The seller was also offering a Shimano Spheros 6000FA for $50 brand new in the box. As you probably know by now, I'm a Penn guy and would never give up my SS spinners...but decided to grab it.  My question is: did I do good on the Shimano? I don't know anything about that reel. Thanks for any input! Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

day0ne

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 18, 2011, 12:13:22 AM
Hey guys, I just picked up an older Penn 113h with the brass spool, these are the reels than some of us like to troll with here in the NE...we don't mind the extra waight. The reel appears to be in very good condition, the cost was $40, so I figured that I couldn't go wrong. My question though is for a different reel. The seller was also offering a Shimano Spheros 6000FA for $50 brand new in the box. As you probably know by now, I'm a Penn guy and would never give up my SS spinners...but decided to grab it.  My question is: did I do good on the Shimano? I don't know anything about that reel. Thanks for any input! Sal

Good reel, though I'm more familiar with the 14000 size for tuna. Only bad thing in my opinion is the POS handle. Dawn has washers for that model and if you want to get crazy on the handle, the Stella FA handle should fit and possibly the same size Saragosa. One of my Spheros 14000FA has a 14000/18000 Saragosa handle (arm and knob) on it, the other one has a ball type handle from ebay on the stock arm. You can also replace the bushing under the main gear with a bearing. Makes it smoother.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Alto Mare

Thanks for the info, dayOne. I went in it blindfolded, not knowing anything about this reel. I'm a Penn guy exclusively and most of my spinners are from 650ss to 9500ss...all with a little something special in them ;). I don't have the Shimano in hand yet, its on its way. I will definitely give it a shot to see if i like it, but won't be investing too much in it...well you never know. I already spotted a bailess kit for $19  and a nice handle  ;). I thought that $50 was a good deal for that reel. Your input is appreciated, thanks! Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Valk

Hi Alto Mare, i see its been in excess of three years since your post on the Spheros 6000, have you been putting it to the test. your opinion of it.
I recently got one, a hand me down from my dad.
Do you know if it is possible to adjust the line lie?

philaroman

on the shaft, between spool & spool support, there should be brown nylon adjustment washers -- correct number of NEW washers (usually, 3 thin or 1 thick) should give you perfect cylindrical line-lay... add thin washer(s) to compensate for wear or get cone-up, intentionally; remove washer(s) to get cone-down

if Dad passed down an original 6000F, that's a much better reel, IMHO & it should be much bigger -- like 12000FA ballpark

Glos

2021 Shimano Spheros SW-A

QuoteI've just subtly named the Spheros SW-A the new best value spinning reel available today, and it is in fact so by a sizable margin. I'm very careful with superlatives, I take my time contemplating and thoroughly deliberating with myself before using one, but this neat new Shimano has so decisively dethroned Daiwa's 2016 BG that I could no longer hold back on reaching this conclusion. My consolation is in the knowledge that, considering how much higher the new Spheros has set the bar, I will not be revisiting this superlative for some time. Actually a very long time if I may speculate.

https://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/spswa/
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.