Ever seen this on a spool?

Started by elcarlstono, August 30, 2022, 07:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wompus Cat

It is the IQ of the guy that uses it like this..........

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

oldmanjoe

Why 14 3 times on the back?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Wompus Cat

Approval by Our Gang is always a good start
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

oldmanjoe

O Tay    The story is a young man fishes with his penn reel .    He has a few spare spools with different sizes mono  10 pound 14 pound 20 pound .            He labeled the spool that had 14 pound mono on a white tape tag .     Years later it was time to re spool with fresh 14 pound and notices that he has a hard time seeing his old label,eye sight failing     So he gets the old ladies red nail polish and blocks in 14 . 
     Now he can see this .      More time passes eyes getting worse so now he resorts to the raised letter label maker   , You know is like braille .    Make seance ?    :d 
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Gfish

Thinkin bout it, 14lb. ain't as common as 12 or 15. Might be plain ol' spool number 14.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

jurelometer

Quote from: Dominick on August 30, 2022, 11:07:00 PMFourteen is the lowest even n for which the equation φ(x) = n has no solution, making it the first even nontotient, therefore putting the number on a spool makes perfect sense.  I'm surprised everyone doesn't know that.
Dominick

Brilliant!  But is it a tribute to Euler for his mathematical contributions to reel design, or something deeper - perhaps a clue of some sort?  Aren't totients used in the most common public key encryption protocol?...

This could explain a lot of things.  I always suspected that spinning reels were the key to unlocking the secrets of the deep state.  Why else would they exist?  ;)

-J

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: jurelometer on August 31, 2022, 07:32:45 PM
Quote from: Dominick on August 30, 2022, 11:07:00 PMFourteen is the lowest even n for which the equation φ(x) = n has no solution, making it the first even nontotient, therefore putting the number on a spool makes perfect sense.  I'm surprised everyone doesn't know that.
Dominick

Brilliant!  But is it a tribute to Euler for his mathematical contributions to reel design, or something deeper - perhaps a clue of some sort?  Aren't totients used in the most common public key encryption protocol?...

This could explain a lot of things.  I always suspected that spinning reels were the key to unlocking the secrets of the deep state.  Why else would they exist?  ;)

-J

To cast when coincidentally facing a slight breeze?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

elcarlstono

Coincidentally (or not?!?!) my HS football number was 14, and I try to wear 14 when I play adult soccer.
Maybe this person was really superstitious  and thought putting their lucky number on the spool would lead to more fish?
Enjoying all the "theories", BTW.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Gfish on August 31, 2022, 02:30:27 PMThinkin bout it, 14lb. ain't as common as 12 or 15. Might be plain ol' spool number 14.
Well if you show me your Secret Squirrel Membership card than i can give you more information about 14 and 17 pound mono .     The previous owner of this spool was in the know . 

sandbar

E5F29768-2538-471A-AE08-1C9D86A7DC20.jpeg I found this tonight on a 710Z.
😳

elcarlstono

jurelometer

Look around the insides of an old Euro spinner, especially a Bavarian brand, and I bet you will find something like this engraved in an inconspicuous place.

-J

Jim Fujitani

Stren mono used to come in 14# and 17#.  I don't know if they still do, I haven't shopped for any Stren in decades.