Squidder 140 friction casting brake.

Started by Flat Top, July 23, 2023, 05:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flat Top

This is a friction casting brake spacer I have been trying out on my Squidders and it works quite well. No more pliers to adjust (I hate doing that) and the adjustment is very precise and can be done with the fingers. No load is placed on the left side inner bearing race (the spacer sits against the outer race/bearing retainer). I adjust mine to allow for the spool to spin about two turns after my sinker hits the ground..thats perfect for the way I cast with thumb control....and after the cast all it takes is a half turn back to free up the spool for the retrieve. The friction spacer can also be adjusted to not allow the spool to break free even when heavy sinkers are placed on the line...so it has a wide range of adjustment. If anyone is interested in trying this out and would like to make some I will post the dimensions if you need them.
Overkill....is way underrated.

Crab Pot

Buy it nice or buy it twice.

Flat Top

ExcessiveAngler

I'm game lol!
Lay it on me, brother lol!

Flat Top

Nylon material.

O.D. .502/.503

I.D. Penn Spool .385
     Newell Spool .370

Thickness Penn Spool .095
          Newell Spool .120

These are the tolerances for my reels and you may have to trial and error a bit to get just the right size and fit for your reels. The .502/.503 O.D. should allow the spacer brake to "snap" into the bearing cup. The I.D. tolerances make up for the difference in the way the two spool hubs are manufactured, and the thickness of the spacer brake is dependent on the depth that the screw threads in the bearing cup allow the cup to be finger tightened.

I dont have your reels so you are on your own, but go with my tolerances and work from there. Once you have the spacer brake installed run it down tight to the spool to make sure its seated squarely in the bearing cup and then back it out. After that a little Cals Reel Grease (or other), on the face of the spacer and the area it rides on the spool, reinstall the bearing cup and you will be good to go.