Source for Sand Claw type sinkers

Started by Brewcrafter, September 10, 2022, 11:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brewcrafter

sand claw.jpg
These used to be easy to find, but none of my SoCal shops that I habituate seem to have them and looking on the internet seems to only come up with bulk suppliers (no, I do not need bags of 20.  I may suck but not THAT bad).  They are my preferred surf fishing type sinker, sizes from 2-5 oz.  I have my finger hovering above the "Add to Cart" button for a mold (I have cast a lot of lead and have everything else needed) but before I go dropping $50 I figured I would see if somebody knew of a source that had them on the shelves (I only need a handful in several sizes).
As an aside, I have used the "Sputnik" style that seem to be all the rage now a couple of times and am most decidedly NOT a fan.  They are an expensive grappling hook designed to harvest kelp, and do not seem to be available in a wide variety of sizes.  I do have a traditional 3 sided pyramid mold and a good supply of sinkers; they work "OK" but just really like the way these will anchor in a current and not roll/tumble. - john

Swami805

Try a few shops by the beach. Maybe Wiley's in Malibu or just fishing by Pete I think in hermosa
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Cor

I very seldom use "sand" sinkers but on the odd occasion need one or two I just make it from a normal bottle type sinker like the one in the bottom of the picture.  Drill two suitably sized holes and fit very thick mono (if you don't have remove a foot from your bass reel) ;D  Make a punch hole right next to the fitte mono to keep in place.

I don have one to show you.   Found one and uploaded.
Cornelis

Shellbelly

Quote from: Cor on September 11, 2022, 07:35:43 AMDrill two suitably sized holes and fit very thick mono

That is a great idea.  My older spider weights have copper wire that has broken off.  Now I can just refit these and not have to fire up the old kerosene torch.

We don't have kelp issues here, but we do get sargassum that fouls our lines.

Brewcrafter, your tackle shop should be willing to order triangles for you.  Those were THE preferred SoCal surf anchor.  You may have to buy more than you need, but hey....nothing says Merry Christmas to fishing friends like lead! 
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Brewcrafter

Great suggestions.  I like home made sputnik idea with some weed eater line.  Now that I think about it; I am willing to bet that all of the current supply I have (or at least what is left of it) was purchased up in Morro Bay.  I am waaay overdue for a weekend up there; but for right now the next 60 days are "high season" at work for me... - john

sabaman1

Try looking at your local Walmart, I've seen them there. Squidco in San Diego also if your in the area, also Kobeys swap meet on Sundays a guy by the name of Ron casts all types of lead sinkers and jigheads. Not close but surely with the great fishing off San Diego would be a great reason to come down here.
JIM