Seawonder FB Masrketplace buy

Started by CincyDavid, April 15, 2023, 11:17:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CincyDavid

I was perusing Marketplace yesterday, saw a tacklebox for sale with some lures and tools in it, for $25.  I could also see a reel with a bolted on leg peeking out in the pics. Figuring it had to be a DAM Quick or Shakespeare I took a leap of faith and bought the Plano box and contents.  Lo and behold it's a big Shakespeare Seawonder.  The tag is missing so I am not sure of the model but it spins freely and aside from reeking of catfish bait, seems intact.

CincyDavid

The tackle box has stunk up my whole garage.  I think I'm gonna have to clean it and leave it out in the sun for a bit...

Gfish

Maybe some bleach solution...
Those Seawonder's (FB=1959) are nice, if you don't mind the weight. Pflueger's version(who copied who?) is the Seastar and is also a nice saltwater spinner.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Gfish on April 15, 2023, 05:55:52 PMMaybe some bleach solution...
Pflueger's version(who copied who?) is the Seastar and is also a nice saltwater spinner.

I don't think either copied the other. The Pflueger Sea Star is a is a pretty basic design for the times, a pinion, main gear and main shaft with a crosswind block (nylon). The Shake Sea Wonder is a lot more complicated with worm gear drive and oscillation block gearing. Both are pretty well made reels for the times but the Sea Wonder is by far a higher quality reel.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

Now that you mention it, Tommy, I remember the Seastar I had also had a plastic spool spindle——bad...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

CincyDavid

So I emptied out the tackle box, spritzed it with Dawn, hosed it off then put it out in the sun all afternoon.  MOST of the aroma is gone, enough that it's tolerable. Wiped it down with Clorox wipes too. 

happyhooker

Nice find; $25 + a stink is still a deal for a box & a Seawonder.  Hard to tell model; I always thought you could get an inkling by how much the leg curved; looks like this is one of the bigger ones.

Frank

CincyDavid

It's a big heavy SOB, about the size of a DAM Quick 550

Midway Tommy

Show us the bottom of the spool, there should be a number on it.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

CincyDavid

Midway Tommy

Quote from: CincyDavid on April 25, 2023, 09:11:48 PMIt says "4777" on the spool

Your reel is a 2090. 2080 spool says 4793 and 2070 spool says 4827 on the bottom.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

CincyDavid

CincyDavid

Well, I fished this big boy Saturday morning.  I was impressed with the way it behaved.  Need a different rod, just one I had laying around. Couldn't catch a fish if you threw one at me but nice test-run for the reel.