5500C3 Anti reverse

Started by Brent, August 25, 2011, 09:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent

I have an 5500C3 from the early 90s. The # on the reel seat is 990403.
The reel had some problems with the anti reverse where the cog would slip off the gear and the reel handle would turn either way. I had this 'fixed' a couple times at 2 different shops, but in short order, the problem returned. I fixed the problem by placing a dob of epoxy on the backside of the cog. If it tried to slip out, it would hit the inside wall of the reel cap, so for the time being, it cannot slip off the gear.
QUESTION- Lately I have been looking to make a more permanent fix and I didnt know if anyone thought it would be feasible or sensible to try to put some type of antireverse bearing in it?

Was this a design flaw that garcia fixed? I dont think this problem is consistent with their quality.

Any suggestions would be appreicated.

Brent

Ken_D

Hi. All the schematic sites don't show a 99-04, just 99-03 and 99-05.  I suspect yours has an a/r dog with only one leaf, and a hokey spider washer underneath. If this is the case, shame on whoever repaired your reel, and left that dog in place !!!  

Punt that dog, and revert back to a 2-leafer. You will need to add another drag washer under the gear, to increase clearance for the dual leaf dog. Trim a dead washer from inside the array to the same size as what's presently under there, and replace the cluster inside the main gear.  Some folks install the dual leafer wrong, placing both leaves under the driveshaft. Not.....the leaves straddle the driveshaft.

No need to replace the spider washer underneath..just use old scissors and trim off the prongs, to make a regular washer, approximating the size of a roundy one, so the underleaf of the dog will clear, is all.
I've found the copy of the Purefishing schematic that shows what I'm on about, if this is unclear. It's only a few cents savings, but at least you've re-cycled the spider !

If you have a ~~regular~~ dog with the 2 leaves, you can carefully tighten the gap on the leaves with needle nose pliers, or simply spend 2.29 on a new dog.

Regretfully, your reel won't take a one way clutch anti-reverse brg.  Here is the schematic, showing the mods to get rid of that dumb one leaf setup... should you be so afflicted.    good fishing and fishing...KD

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/ambassadeur/Ambassadeur_6500C_99-05_Thx_to_KD.pdf

Mooki

To me the link shows up as forbidden.
However this one seems to work better (requires one extra click though)...  ;)
http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/displayimage.php?album=27&pos=488
Something like 40 BCs, mostly ABU. Still counting upwards...

ssiniscalchi

Here's the anti reverse dog that KenD is talking about:

Perhaps you're AR-dog is out of shape but the safest option would be to swap this one out and put a double leaf AR like this one:

alantani

yup, the double leaf dog is the one you want.  if you have trouble finding one, let me know and i can mail one out to you.  i have several left over.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Istock1

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I have a "like new" 550 Plus that I got for almost nothing with the dreaded single leaf dog that doesn't work right anymore. It looks like the inner ring that slides onto the post broke from the leaf and the cog part ... it's now three pieces instead of one.

So I think I'm trying to turn this:
http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/content/purefishing/Abu%20Garcia/Schematics/550PLUS%200102.PDF
Into this:
http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/content/purefishing/Abu%20Garcia/Schematics/550PLUS%2091-0.pdf

As Ken_D mentions, it looks like I will need toprovide space between the anti-reverse wheel and the drive gear, but am not sure what part number to order that would work. Would 10271? Thanks!

phin

Quote from: Ken_D on August 26, 2011, 12:21:31 AM
Hi. All the schematic sites don't show a 99-04, just 99-03 and 99-05.  I suspect yours has an a/r dog with only one leaf, and a hokey spider washer underneath. If this is the case, shame on whoever repaired your reel, and left that dog in place !!!  

Punt that dog, and revert back to a 2-leafer. You will need to add another drag washer under the gear, to increase clearance for the dual leaf dog. Trim a dead washer from inside the array to the same size as what's presently under there, and replace the cluster inside the main gear.  Some folks install the dual leafer wrong, placing both leaves under the driveshaft. Not.....the leaves straddle the driveshaft.

No need to replace the spider washer underneath..just use old scissors and trim off the prongs, to make a regular washer, approximating the size of a roundy one, so the underleaf of the dog will clear, is all.
I've found the copy of the Purefishing schematic that shows what I'm on about, if this is unclear. It's only a few cents savings, but at least you've re-cycled the spider !

If you have a ~~regular~~ dog with the 2 leaves, you can carefully tighten the gap on the leaves with needle nose pliers, or simply spend 2.29 on a new dog.

Regretfully, your reel won't take a one way clutch anti-reverse brg.  Here is the schematic, showing the mods to get rid of that dumb one leaf setup... should you be so afflicted.    good fishing and fishing...KD

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/ambassadeur/Ambassadeur_6500C_99-05_Thx_to_KD.pdf

I am trying to find the above schematics without any luck, anybody got any diagrams or write up . Thanks

foakes

If this isn't what you are looking for -- I could dig through some old shop service manuals to see if we have the correct one needed.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

phin

Thanks for your reply, i was actually looking for pictures of how to convert the single leaf rachet to the double
one. i have the old 6500-c3. Thanks

borntofish

Quote from: alantani on September 16, 2011, 09:10:40 PMyup, the double leaf dog is the one you want.  if you have trouble finding one, let me know and i can mail one out to you.  i have several left over.  alan

Do you have one that will suit a 7500C and/ or a 10000C? A part no would help too.