ABU 10,000c problem

Started by borntofish, September 22, 2022, 03:15:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

borntofish

I am having trouble reassembling an ABU 10,000C. I replaced the drag washers with carbontex washers (I cut them to size myself). Everything seems to be working, but when I test it a few times the anti-reverse pawl pops off. I have tried re-assembling it a few times and everything seem to be in the correct order. The pawl seems to be sitting a bit high on its mount though. Is there something I have missed (I have had trouble getting 2 speed ABU's back together before)?

PS: It seem to be fixed now. I put the odd shaped washer under the handle like it is supposed to. Too much movement of the gear stack was allowing the pawl to pop off it would seem.

borntofish

There is still a problem with the ant-reverse slipping a bit. This was evident before I changed the drag washers. I have a similar problem with an ABU 7500C despite replacing the pawl with a new one.

If found a discussion here referring to a double leaf pawl. But I can find any part no. or reference to it anywhere:

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2648.0.

ez2cdave

I think you are confusing the term "pawl" with "dog".

A "pawl" is a part that follows grooves in a "worm gear", in levelwind reels.

A "dog" rotates into position, in order to prevent a spool and "drive assembly" from turning backwards.

handi2

Ambassaduer calls it the anti reverse pawl.

The under gear washer may be too big
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

borntofish

Quote from: handi2 on October 02, 2022, 12:27:38 AMAmbassaduer calls it the anti reverse pawl.

The under gear washer may be too big

I replaced the dog/ pawl with a new one. It slips a bit but is much improved.

borntofish

Quote from: ez2cdave on October 01, 2022, 10:00:40 PMI think you are confusing the term "pawl" with "dog".

A "pawl" is a part that follows grooves in a "worm gear", in levelwind reels.

A "dog" rotates into position, in order to prevent a spool and "drive assembly" from turning backwards.

It is often called the anti-reverse pawl. I think that's the way ABU calls it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125484811557?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

Gfish

Maybe you could try playing with the pawl/dog ears. Adjust the amount of friction/lube type until it works all the time. Could be the anti-reverse ratchet teeth need some filing.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

borntofish

Quote from: Gfish on October 03, 2022, 01:40:29 PMMaybe you could try playing with the pawl/dog ears. Adjust the amount of friction/lube type until it works all the time. Could be the anti-reverse ratchet teeth need some filing.
Yes, they sound like good tips. Maybe the teeth are a bit worn - the reel is quite old.