End cap/side plate for CS501/551

Started by isurus, November 10, 2022, 01:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isurus

Hi all,

I am searching for an endcap (part 3-500) for a ProGear cs500 series reel. I was given two silver cs551s that have various issues and am trying to make one functional reel with the available parts.

Both endcaps have the same problem: the little tab/notch where the eccentric spring fits into the frame have corroded away (photo below) and the spring no longer can be put in place to function properly.

Figured I would Hail Mary it to see if anyone has this part laying around or if anyone has experience fixing this issue.

Many thanks in advance.
-Jeff

alantani

that's heartbreaking to see.  there has to be some way to make that spring stay put. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rancanfish

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Gfish

What would be best for an aluminum side-plate? Stainless seems to develop galvanic corrosion. How about brass? Maybe an aluminum pop rivet with epoxie?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

isurus

Thanks for the comebacks.

The pin/rivet is a good idea. I've never used a pop rivet before, but I'll look into it. Guessing I'd first need to drill a hole in the sideplate for the rivet to sit in?

Gfish

Yeah. But you wouldn't "pop" it in there, as the gun will cut-off the extension while squashing the rivet flat. Drill nice tight tolerance hole, cut-off rivet with heavy wire cutters then epoxy in. Godda get it fully covered with epoxie to prevent corrosion on drilled area of aluminum plate,
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

Cut the skinny rod at the collar, collar should be on the outside of the side-plate.
Just an idea, if it's successful, then maybe I can use it sometime...

Swami805

Plan B might be fashioning a new spring with a longer arm and drilling out the nub of aluminum a bit for it to rest in
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mhc

Smols and Rancanfish successfully cut a new notch for the eccentric spring in their CS ProGears as described in this 2017 thread - https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=23619.0

That's also pretty much what Swami805 suggested above as well.

Mike

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

isurus

Awesome. Thanks for the input.  Since I have two springs I'll first try cutting the new notch. If that doesn't work I'll try the rivet.  Will let you know how it goes!

Jeff