Old Daiwa unlimited class big game rod

Started by 1badf350, August 18, 2022, 09:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

Hi all. Has anyone seen one of these before? I've been trying to date it. I suspect Harnell may have built it for Daiwa using one of their blanks and butt.

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Swami805

The condition of that is incredible, looks almost new. Looks old enough to be made by harnell and both in Ca, would make sense. Very nice piece
Do what you can with that you have where you are

54bullseye

Really cool rod !! First I have seen like it. Nice find !     John Taylor

1badf350

So for anyone following this, I spoke to Daiwa customer service who told me his catalogs go back to 1972 and this rod is not in any of them. So should I assume this rod predates 1972? I don't know. My initial gut feeling was late 70s maybe early 80s considering wrap colors and grip material. But most companies ditched mildrums by the late 70s.
I suppose I haven't solved anything yet LOL
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

Bill B

I might have something in the shop that looks similar in the butt and guides that might add some information.  Will post up tomorrow... bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

oldmanjoe

I can`t date the stick ,but found 2 more with Aftco rollers  50 pound class  and 1 30 class
I can give you the link if you want...
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

UKChris1

Sorry to be late in spotting this. Lovely rod  :)

Am I right in thinking the label says IGFA 80lb class?
The blank looks to be pretty hefty for an 80lb rod but a clue would come from the size of the Varmac reel seat. Harnell used an RS-5H on the 80lb rod and an RS-6H on the 130lb and 180lb-Unlimited rods (in the Royal range).

Certainly, Harnell used Mildrum roller guides on the 80lb and up rods along with Varmac RS5H and RS-6H reel seats and the black wooden butts with chromed brass gimbals. Harnell used white rubber grips on the Royal range though, not the black grip on your rod.

The lighter Royal series rods from Harnell used Aftco rollers - the rounded ones as the HD series was not yet developed.

Daiwa seemed to supply lots of different rods in various guises in the 70's and 80's in the IGFA 80lb and upwards ranges judging from a few old catalogues I remember.

I do love these older rods - they still work too!

1badf350

Chris it says 8083-U. The U indicates it's unlimited class. She's a big girl
The rod oldmanjoe pictured is of a similar 50lb class rod currently listed on eBay
-Chris

UKChris1

Quite right - I misunderstood the 50lb rod photo and misread its label as 80 not 50. That Unlimited is a great rod!