Grinding down the cam of a penn international 20 VISX

Started by alantani, February 11, 2022, 06:49:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

that tiny indent for the bait stop is actually now better.  it's a clear click.  you can't miss it. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bill B

And this is why Alan has a 150 reels in the queue. Bravo Zulu Boss!  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Solid72

What would the drag curve be on a 12 and 16 VISX.  Mark Romero is installing them and I was wondering if the freespool will allow a knife jig from 250g or sinker rigs to drop easily?
Fishhard!

alantani

I just ground down a set for mark and mailed them just before we hit the road. It's looking more like 4 degrees for the visx's and 5 degrees for the Fathoms and Torques.  You should be able to get 30 pounds at full with the 12 visx and 40 pounds with the 16 visx. From zero to full should be a smooth progression on both.

Solid72

Fishhard!

CooldadE

Quote from: alantani on April 26, 2022, 03:10:23 PMI just ground down a set for mark and mailed them just before we hit the road. It's looking more like 4 degrees for the visx's and 5 degrees for the Fathoms and Torques.  You should be able to get 30 pounds at full with the 12 visx and 40 pounds with the 16 visx. From zero to full should be a smooth progression on both.

So the VISX 16 needs help right out the box also ? What about the Mak 16 SEA ?

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

alantani

the mak 16 is good.  the cam of the visx 16 needs to be ground down.  also gotta replace the handle grip for the visx16.  it's way too small.

Trixkelly

Awesome work sir. I love how you got your setup perfected for consistent repeatable results. Plus those dremel cut off wheels are deadly.