Ted's MOST EXCELLENT Fishing Adventure, Part I, Sept. 2022

Started by El Pescador, September 24, 2022, 03:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

Well here we are Kids!

I continue Ron's post:

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=35585.0

Ted starting last year, was on Alan, Dominick and me to schedule a fishing trip with him in the Great Northwest.

At the last minute, Alan and Dominick had schedule changes, were unable to go, BUTT I kept on track and flew to Everett, Washington - about 30 miles North of Seattle, WA.

Here, Ted meets me at the airport and with his sign he had a crowd waiting for HER!!!!

BUTT here is what they got!!

Making the short drive to Ted's home, we pass the HUGE COMPLEX that is BOEING.

Ted told me in the summer, when it is warm, the side doors open to have the cool air inside.

Here is the small boat harbor near Ted's home.

And here is Ted's boat - a North Country boat - 26 feet.

The next morning we are out for Silver Salmon Fishing.

We need bait, and this guy sells bait from his home, when a boat approaches, he wades out, puts a bag of fresh-caught herring on the bow deck, and picks up a bag with Money $$ in it for exchange.

Zoom shot - that is the Seattle skyline and Mt. Rainer in the background.

We're fish'n, and my first use of a Mooching reel - or as any surgeon calls them, A KNUCKLE BUSTER!!!!

We picked up Ron Jones - THE MAN - across the water from Ted's home, he is at the helm, as any Navy man would be.

Great day on the water, lots of boats nearby, BUTT with Ted's personality, he doesn't like a crowd!!!

We caught fish, I did not take any photos, sorry for that.

Most fishing for Silver Salmon is DONE early in the day, and Ted is always done by 11 AM - we are head'n back home.

Here are the Dr. Seuss trees in front of Ted's home.  Beautiful home and property for sure.

Next day the adventure continues, we head for Sekiu, WA - a 4 1/2 hr. drive.  Sekiu is pronounced...  "C...Q" - it is REELY that easy, just C...Q!!!

We take a ferry to cross the water, and my first time on a ferry!!!

At one point along the way, we were directly south of Victoria, BC!!!

Our drive has us going past Lake Crescent, and what a beautiful lake WITH NO ONE ON IT!!!  NO ONE!!!  5 1/2 mile long lake WITH NO ONE ON IT?????

We arrive at our destination, Sekiu, WA - and from a quick observation, there are TWO things to do in this town...

FISH and SLEEP!!!!

And given the amount of time SOME OF YOU spend on this site, this sign rings true!!! ::)

Gary, if I could get this hand-carved bench in my duffle bag, I would ship it to you!!!!

Check this out, Ted told us this story, of how the owners put so much gravel and dirt into the bay to raise up the seawall to protect the cove and the boats harbored there.

And here is the gang:  Steve, Wayne, Ted & Ron.

Ted booked us at Curly's for the nite,

And when we arrived, they overbooked their rooms, and our reservations were changed for TWO rooms, EACH with TWO QUEEN BEDS...

to...

ONE ROOM with TWO QUEEN BEDS :o

Now, ALL OF YOU can have all the fun you want with the story of ONE ROOM, TWO QUEEN Beds, and FOUR GROWN MEN!!!

and While you do...  I'll enjoy some of Ted's Smoked Salmon with my San Evaristo, Baja sea salt on it!!!!

More later!!!!

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Brewcrafter

That's beautiful country for sure and Ted will get you on the fish!!!! - john

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

Wompus Cat

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

steelfish

The Baja Guy

David Hall

Ron Jones

It is interesting to see the peninsula from an outside perspective, thanks Wayne! I never get tired of the place, but maybe some of the awe has worn off. The guys rode the ferry and then went over a bridge to get to the peninsula I live on. My house is just a handful of miles from Sekiu as the crow flies. Couple hour drive to get there because of the pesky Olympic National Park that is in my backyard.

Just wait until part 2!!

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Gfish

So cool! Been to the East side from San Juan Is. down. The peninsula looks even better. Great thing to have 2 local guides for your first trip—-anywhere!
Wayne, your attention to photo detail could be a paid thing for the right magazine.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Maxed Out

I gotta get me some popcorn and watch for Wayne's next post. I have a feeling he's just warming up.  This place is so remote there isn't even a restaurant. I always bring my electric frying pan and take on the job of camp cook(or we may starve) We were well fed, even without a restaurant !
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

broadway

Well, I'm not gonna ask you guys to explain on the site how you 4 men shacked up in a couple small beds... Ted, I'll be texting you when they leave for the skinny on that one, lol.
As always, Wayne, does a beautiful job of taking us on his journey, but always has to rub in that he eats better than all of us (except Chile of course).  I know and love that salmon pictured above... Ted makes magic happen with Salmon and Albies.
I sure hope you guys nail the "Big ones" in the beautiful body of water yas have to yourselves.
Stay safe and productive,
Dom
PS- I like the sign switcharoo!

xjchad

Wayne, I love reading your reports on anything!  Great pics and story telling plus good humor!  The only thing that riled me up a bit was the last pic of Ted's smoked salmon. I drooled so much that I ruined a perfectly good cup of coffee  >:(

Ted, your yard is the best I've ever seen!  I never get tired of seeing pictures of it! 

What a great trip for you guys!  Can't wait to hear the rest of the reports!

(So how did you guys decide the 'big spoon/little spoon' situation?)  ;D
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Ron Jones

Honestly,
You guys don't want to hear about the sleeping arangements!
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

philaroman