Any info on these DAM Quick Models

Started by rakulack, September 26, 2022, 04:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rakulack

Stumbled across 4 of the AT430 Reels in boxes with 2 extra spools and 2 of the AT Microlite FD in box with extra spool.  Seem to be decent reels but can't find much on the AT models.  Any ideas as to value?  Thanks for your time.     Roger

pjstevko

Fred Oaks is your guy and I'm sure he'll give you the entire history of that model once he sees your thread....

foakes

These are probably decent reels, Roger —-

Comparable to Shimanos & Daiwas of the same vintage (around 20+ years ago).

Any reel NIB is likely worth 35% to 50% more than a good fished reel.

My experience with these is non-existent —- except a little history.

The year was about 1996 —- and the DAM Quick reels were becoming too expensive to manufacture in Germany —- and still stay competitive in the world angling market.  The competition with shinier and sleeker looking reels coming out of the Asian Market was impacting DQ to the point that they finally sold out to a Dutch company.  This company immediately utilized the high quality DQ name and moved production to Asia —- and at the same time, completely changed the models and offerings to mostly graphite, plastic, carbon, and alloy gearing.

They utilized more bearings (because that is the only thing that holds a plastic reel together for a finite period of time).

Nothing wrong with these reels —- they are probably some of the best, and have some good features for reels produced over the last 30 years.

For a guy like me, DQ required me to buy $5,000 worth of replacement parts at a time.  It would be impossible to stock all of the parts necessary to keep these reels going for less than $25,000 —- since you can't fix plastic —- just replace parts that are sand-worn and have lost their tolerances.

Plus, I saw the hand-writing on the wall —- and was less than confident that the company would even be around.

So they were cheaper to toss in the trash and buy another reel —- then fix the old one.

The DQ brand was sold a couple of more times —- to other firms.

As to value, whatever someone is willing to pay.

For me, the value is about "0".  But to others who want to collect them, or fish them until they wear out —- it would be about the same as a typical Asian reel of that era (Shimano, Daiwa, Okuma, etc.)

My specialty in the DQ reels is from the early 50's to about the early 90's —- metals, SS, bronze, aircraft grade molded aluminum, tight tolerances that never degrade and can be repaired, restored, and used for another lifetime. 

Around the early 90's —- composites and plastics started to become the norm.

This type of manufacturing evolution is not unique to fishing reels —- it is the modern trend for nearly anything manufactured for the general public today.  Shiny, attractive, good features —- and disposable.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

rakulack

Fred,
  Thank you very much for taking the time to share your knowledge about these reels. I was really impressed with the quality, especially the Microlite. Super Smooth and appears to be designed and have all the features I could want.  I definitely will use the Microlites and Replace one of my older reels with the 430. I was a little overwhelmed trying to find these so am grateful for the info you could provide.  I just like interesting reels and am always looking for unique ones.   Having people willing to share is super. Stay Healthy                   Roger                 Lewiston, MN

philaroman

very "Okuma-looking"...  old fat-body platforms before V-System
I'd bet a 15-size metal spool would fit right on

Wompus Cat

Definately Good Looking Reels but the one or two I have got CRAP PEWTER GEARS  and will FAIL if you use them .
Dam Went to Pot on these IMHO.
But Man are they SHINEY!!!!
Keep those on a Shelf and buy some of the REAL DAM REELS from back in the day . 
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Shellbelly

Quote from: foakes on September 26, 2022, 06:51:16 PMit is the modern trend for nearly anything manufactured for the general public today.

Sad and true.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)