Ridgid 175W Inverter

Started by foakes, September 28, 2022, 06:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

This tool would not be for everyone —- however, in certain cases it would be very helpful.

We do mostly "boondocking" camping with our travel trailer or cabover truck camper.

And we have a Honda 2200i generator.

Plus we both have Mac laptops, iPads, iPhones, and iPods.

And, oftentimes we just don't want the drain on our battery, or the noise of the generator when relaxing in a remote area with no services —- and the whole landscape to ourselves.

Solar is great, extra batteries are great, recharging the devices with the generator is always an option.

But Home Depot (Ridgid) just came out with a 175W inverter that runs off of the 18V batteries that I already have.

It will take any of the Ridgid 18V batteries —- I have 2ah & 4ah batteries already for my other Ridgid power tools.

Silent when in use.

$89 may seem a little steep —- but when I factored in the "no extension cords, silence, and since I already had the batteries on board —- it was a no-brainer for me.

If you register the product with Ridgid within 90 days —- the inverter is guaranteed for life.

And, the best part —- the batteries I already own are already guaranteed for life also!

Slick product.

Best, Fred

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18V-Cordless-175-Watt-Power-Inverter-Tool-Only-AC86097/320879239
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

boon

Huge output from something so small... I have to do some crunching though....

A 2Ah battery @ 18v will do 36 watt-hours - 18v at 2 amps for one hour.

So at full output you'll get a best-case 12 minutes from a 2Ah battery, before allowing for conversion losses.

But for putting a bit of charge into a low-power device like an iPad, pretty darn good. Arguably more efficient would be a DC-DC charger (otherwise you're going DC-AC-DC with losses each time), but this would probably be a non-generic device without the flexibility.

Honestly, it blows me away what they can do with a couple of modern lithium ion batteries.

foakes

Right, boon —-

I just use this for a silent and quick charge for our devices.

There are at least (4) other ways that I can charge our devices on the road or when camped —- but this is silent, non-draining of the regular battery, cordless, and just dead-simple and quick.  And the batteries can easily be recharged by the rest of our equipment.

This is only (in my case) for electronic devices —- not the microwave, DVD, TV, or lights.

And like I mentioned —- since I already have plenty of lifetime batteries —- it was a simple option.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

happyhooker

Didn't know such things were out there.  But, shoulda.  Handy.

Frank

Wompus Cat

Seems Redundant to me . Won't Completely charge a Laptop with the 2ah bat and only 1.9 laptops with the 6.0 on sale for maybe 80 bux but normally 112 bucks  and you still have to charge it back up in less than 15 mins or so on low bat (2ah) .
With all tha time saving ,space saver ,gadgets you have soon you will need a separate pull behind storage device to store all your space saving devices you take with you to escape away from all the electronic devices and upkeep on them to relax in the first place .........I dunno ::)
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Shellbelly

If you have it for your tech stuff, it's handy and might be really handy if you're adrift and you've spent your battery sending big fish video proof to the world.  I also see the gadgets-needing-gadgets chain.  I don't think we're very far from the super battery that weighs a pound or two.

I want a battery that runs 1000 watts of light for 8 hours and doesn't weigh 40 lbs so I can light up some surf.  I have to haul a 3k generator to run 4 30VAC locomotive headlights.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Wompus Cat

This High Tech Device is all you Need .

Shellbelly

"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)

Midway Tommy

We have a 2nd place on a lake. Our kids are appalled and in disbelief that I won't let them get us some sort of TV service. They finally decided we needed our own phone/internet service and got it hooked up. :-\ I was just fine using the neighbor's unpassworded WIFI, but no, we need our own. When I go there the plan is to get away from the techy world, civilization, news and TV.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Shellbelly

Quote from: Midway Tommy on October 01, 2022, 02:57:43 AMOur kids are appalled and in disbelief that I won't let them get us some sort of TV service.

Funny!  We had a NEC tube TV until my son showed up with an LED TV.  He couldn't stand it.  We had that old TV for at least 25 years.  He also graduated us out of windows XP.  If you don't know what you're missing, you don't miss it.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Shellbelly on October 01, 2022, 02:06:04 PM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on October 01, 2022, 02:57:43 AMOur kids are appalled and in disbelief that I won't let them get us some sort of TV service.

Funny!  We had a NEC tube TV until my son showed up with an LED TV.  He couldn't stand it.  We had that old TV for at least 25 years.  He also graduated us out of windows XP.  If you don't know what you're missing, you don't miss it.

Yeah, and the really funny thing about it is the kids are 40.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Cuttyhunker

I can have a wet cellar in New England, so I added a second sump pump as a backup while wintering in Florida. There were biblical rains and winds one March years ago, came to find that I'd had about 18" in the cellar when power was lost. Escaped with only a drowned furnace motor.  Having a 36V golf cart with 6 6V deep cycle batteries I made a giant 12V system for when I'm away. Wiring 2 6V batteries in series to make 3 12V batteries from the 6 in the cart. The wiring the 12V pairs in parallel making the 6 into one big 12V power pack.  With a 12V DC to 110V AC inverter wired to a 3rd higher sump pump if power is lost to keep things dry.  The pack is connected to a big 12V Battery minder to keep things peaked and to recharge the system if it get called upon when the power is restored.  Of course we are in a level 3 drought here, with nary a drop in the sump. ::)   
Doomed from childhood

Maxed Out

So if I get 10 of these and run them in series, my wife could blow dry her hair when we're camping ?
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Maxed Out on October 06, 2022, 12:06:00 AMSo if I get 10 of these and run them in series, my wife could blow dry her hair when we're camping ?

If one goes they all would like Christmas Tree Lites .Then She Would be MIFFED .
Best bet in a situation like that is to get a four hundred mile long extension cord .

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Wompus Cat on October 06, 2022, 12:20:50 AM
Quote from: Maxed Out on October 06, 2022, 12:06:00 AMSo if I get 10 of these and run them in series, my wife could blow dry her hair when we're camping ?

If one goes they all would like Christmas Tree Lites .Then She Would be MIFFED .
Best bet in a situation like that is to get a four hundred mile long extension cord .
I think if some one rode a bicycle and get the wind in the hair , problem solved
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare