Yard drainage

Started by JasonGotaProblem, September 29, 2022, 02:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

So to be more specific, I spent a long time talking to the drainage experts I work with who have experience with the local conditions of Pasco County, since they designed most of it. Good engineering is of course about doing the job right, without spending any more than is necessary to do it right.

I'm doing mostly solid pipe not perf, and no stone bedding. because quite frankly I'm trying to remove water from a few trouble areas during heavy storms, not trying to protect my foundation from soggy ground (sandy soil, deep water table, no basement). So I'm doing 3 grate top inlets in the trouble spots, and I'm also tying the one roof drain from my porch into it.

I will post pics when I finish.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

JasonGotaProblem

I will say this, that $120 I spent to rent a ditch witch was the best $120 I've ever spent. Shovels suck.

handi2

I lived on the waterfront and Gulf Breeze Florida I did put in a French drain into a 55 gallon drum with 110 V 2 inch sump pump.

It was automatic. When you filled the pump the water back into the sound
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

JasonGotaProblem

Man I really did not realize how much work I signed up for. The weekend is over, and I am far from done.

So far I've dug about 130' of trench average 12" deep and 6" wide.

Using a laser level I've determined that the top of the run is ballpark 2.5' higher than the outfall. So I'm close to an average of 2% slope (which is the same as 0.25" per foot) though some areas are definitely a bit flatter than others, but to the best of my observation its continually downhill the whole way.

The nature of the ground level bubbler I'm using for the outfall means that the low end would always hold about 6" of water, so.i used jacketed perf pipe for the last 20' of the run. Some have said that you don't need any glue in the joints of HDPE drainage pipe, but I decided to use cheap caulk to hold them together. There's one section that goes between 2 trees, so I made sure that section is arrow straight so if the roots foul up the pipe I can come back and redo that section in PVC.

Pipe is in the ground, but only the 20' closest to the road (the low end) has been covered back and resodded.

Eagle eyed viewers may notice my enthusiastic helper in one of the pics.

foakes

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on October 02, 2022, 04:28:06 AMI will say this, that $120 I spent to rent a ditch witch was the best $120 I've ever spent. Shovels suck.

Yeah, Jason —-

Some tools you just got to have, like the Ditch Witch.

There are others I feel that are sensible, get the job done quickly, and better.

For me, these would be airless paint sprayers, pressure washers, sand blasters, hydraulic wood splitters, and my all time favorite to eliminate work —- a gas-powered hole auger for fence posts and tree planting.

When we dug our French drain, we had a guy come in with a back-hoe attachment on his Case tracked Skid-Steer.  We needed it 3' deep and a foot wide —- and even with the backhoe, he encountered roots 6" wide, and rocks like basketballs.

Another little tool that might seem foolish —- but has been great for me —- an 18V battery powered caulking gun.  When you have a lot of bead to lay —- or even just one window —- this is a great time saver and does a fantastic job.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

JasonGotaProblem

Well I'm nearing completion other than re-sodding. I've got most the trench buried back but my body is not taking kindly to this. I had to just give up for the evening because my arm feels ready to fall off. Some kind of overuse/inflammation based thing going on.

Told my wife my left elbow is leading an armed revolt, but she didn't catch the pun.

I was ready to be done with house projects for a bit. But some tiles fell off my shower wall this morning and i discovered its just tile glued to (wet) drywall. 

Midway Tommy

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on October 04, 2022, 01:58:22 PMI was ready to be done with house projects for a bit. But some tiles fell off my shower wall this morning and i discovered its just tile glued to (wet) drywall. 

Well if you thought your yard drainage ordeal was a PITA get ready for a bigger one. If tiles fell off you've got a mess behind it! WTTW, get the thought of any type of water resistant drywall, green, purple, gray, etc. out of your thought process. None of them will last. The only thing that will last is some sort of concrete board, Durarock, Hardy, etc.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gobi King

I think this is good prep for cow tunas, which the upper body conditioning you have now, you should be able to land a 250lb tuna under 5 mins tops,  :d

well done, those arms deserve a mention, nicely done!
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

sabaman1

Jason,project looks really good. Your movin along quite well.
JIM

oldmanjoe

I wish that i was able to respond to this early , but the power was out .  You could have gotten away with 2 pipe and still used the pot wells with adapters  . 

I have 100 foot of super gutter and 100 foot of deco drain with a break point so i can drain on both side of the house . the one side runs a 2 inch pipe to the street ,it also picks up the over flow for the front pond and the waste / back flush for the pool  .    The other side runs to the front planting beds .

Why is the dry wall wet  grout or leak ?  If you have to rebuild Durarock, Hardy, is the only way to go.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JasonGotaProblem

I think its wet from cracks in grout plus decades of showers. It's an exterior wall, and I don't suspect a leak.

What few shower walls ive done have always been durock. I hear hardy is good for this too but no personal experience.

Im gonna caulk it back in place for now. I will most definitely be fixing it correctly in the next few weeks but no way in heck I'm jumping from trench to tile work. Heck no. I need a break. And a fishing trip.

Dominick

Jason, you're in Florida, so the perfect solution to being overworked and to forget the lost tile in the shower is to go tile fishing.  ::)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

JasonGotaProblem

Man I finally finish my trench and get the bathroom put back together, and my garage door falls apart. What the heck man.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on October 12, 2022, 06:54:57 PMMan I finally finish my trench and get the bathroom put back together, and my garage door falls apart. What the heck man.

Isn't home ownership great?! We had a WH, DW & Refrig bite the dust, all within 30 days, at the same time those in charge are trying to dissipate and reduce the purchasing ability of our retirement funds. ::)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

handi2

When i was plumbing houses in the early 80's tile glued to green board was the norm. Now we know its a bad thing
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL