Mitchell 489 Spinning Reel - Don in AU Sept. 30, 2022

Started by El Pescador, September 30, 2022, 12:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

Good morning all!!!!

Don asked if I would post 2 photos of his Mitchell 489 Spinner, and Don, please take it from here!!!!!   Wayne

Email from Don:

Hi Wayne & Jennifer, hope your retirement is going good,  & your both keeping in good health,

Wayne could you place these 2 picks on the forum, under Mitchell spinning reels for me, I will add some text soon after, thanks,

cheers Don.

Wayne for Don
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Donnyboat

Thanks you Wayne you really do look after me, as pictured, this main shaft is out of  the same model Mitchell as in the back ground, as you can see, the drag plate & clicker has broken away from the drag disck pending part No-482 & 483 main shaft, are these parts pinned to the main shaft, or does it press of, can`t see any pin, not sure if I can get the part in Australia or not, the only part discription I can see is on the rotor it has- Brevete SGDG, patent pending, if anyone can give me some advise on this thanks, I have thought of sticking it together with some epoxy, but considering, the drag pressure applies to the same area, I am not sure if it would hold for long, & it may also throe it out of balance, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Brewcrafter

Don - I think a few wiser folks than I will be along on this thread shortly.  Unless you are under time duress, I would stay away from any hero fixes like epoxy until others have weighed in, let's get this fixed right where you will not have to worry about it my friend! - john

Wompus Cat

I don't have a 489 but have other reels with that type of Gear on them and the Schematic for your Reel shows that as a unit .
I think it was just pressed on and or maybe had a spot weld .

Now that I  blowed up the pic it looks like Damn PLASTIC and was made on the piece.

Does not seem to do anything but click . I would clean the hell out of the pieces  line up the places where it broke off and put a couple drops of super glue on it and put it back together if it were mine. Then go  :fish

Part # is 81483 but I Doubt ya can find one
Mat's Reel Repair shows them for 8 Bux .
Let me know and I will call on Monday and see IF they have it and I can ship it to you . But I doubt it is available .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Donnyboat

Right thanks John Toby, & Henry Billy, I am doing some reserch here in Australia, other wise I will have to contact Mr oakes, as I may need some Damm Quick parts as well, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Donnyboat

Kieth, only if your well enough, try to check it out, see if it has a pin, holding it onto the main shaft, there is know thread in that area to screw it on & off, cheers Don. and thanks.
Don, or donnyboat

Gfish

I's wonderin about that and then Henry mentioned it; plastic. Don is that spool spindle made of metal or plastic?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

handi2

I will get it down tomorrow. What is shown is the click gear that also holds the one piece drag washer.

The main gear strips easily on those reels and is not obtainable.

I may have one that is a parts reel. If I do you can have the spool shaft

The Mitchell 302/402 has a much better upgradable drag system using 5 Penn 6-155 Drag Washers
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Donnyboat

Thanks Greg, the shaft is metal, and the part on the end with the disc is some kind of plastic, part number 482-drag disk. Good Kieth only when your well enough, know rush man, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

I managed to get a complete shaft, that include the fitting on the end is all one part, the one I brought has a metal cog on it, & the original delrin drag washer, fited snug, It was only 40 Kms away from home, the chap wanted to give it to me, I finnished up buying 11 spinning reels of off him, for AU$ 5 each, total $55, so I rounded it of @ $70. for the lot, all good, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Wompus Cat

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him