tekota 500 LC

Started by alantani, April 25, 2009, 10:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noviceman

Thanks Bryan...you answered my question....Appreciate the help..

RamseyReelRepair

I'm working on one right now that needed a new roller clutch and since I couldn't get the old one out I got a new side plate and a new clutch but how the heck do you get the clutch in? It acts like the clutch is to big but I know it is correct.

West
Check out the website and gallery!
😎http://www.ramseyreelrepair.com😎

Zimbass

Put a little bit of grease on the bearing housing, and receptacle on the side plate.

Get a socket the right size, that fits the bearing, think 10mm is what I used, but check.

Then using a hammer gently knock the socket and  bearing in place. Try and keep it square, and line up the indents.

Does sound aggressive, yet it works to both remove, and fit the ARB clutch.

Good luck.

Terry,

Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

RamseyReelRepair

Thanks Terry I'll give it a go and see how it does. I'll let you know!

West
Check out the website and gallery!
😎http://www.ramseyreelrepair.com😎

TheBandit

I'm working on a 600 LC, the inside of the roller clutch bearing #488 is out but the metal outer piece is still in the side plate. Is there any way to get that out? Thanks Guys.

desertpaddler

I've had mine come apart before and was able to slide it back together carefully getting all the bearings in place. My guess is that the outer sleeve has a little corrosion, or salt making it stick. You could try a bent nail, or even a fish hook to tap it out. Mine worked fine after reassembly. Just my 2 cents.

TheBandit

Thanks, I have been trying that but no luck yet. Sprayed some WD40 let it sit, still nothing. Really not to much to grab on to.

akfish

It's almost impossible to get a corroded anti-reverse bearing out of a Tekota 500 or 600. (They come out easily from 700 and 800s because there is a lip you can push.) When I need to replace the anti reverse bearing on a 500 or 600 -- and this is a common issue -- I use my Dremel to cut the edge of the frame under the star just enough to reveal the top of the bearing. I can then tap out the bearing. When put back together you can't see the cut because it is concealed by the star. I hate to cut the reel but the alternative isa new side plate and a new bearing.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

Quote from: TheBandit on May 13, 2020, 04:14:41 PM
I'm working on a 600 LC, the inside of the roller clutch bearing #488 is out but the metal outer piece is still in the side plate. Is there any way to get that out? Thanks Guys.

honestly, it's a bigger hammer and a little experience knowing where and how hard to hit it.  i don't suppose you're anywhere in northern california......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

TheBandit

Thanks for the responses guys. No I am in NY. I think I will try something with the dremel, maybe cut a groove in whats left of bearing so I have something I can hit with a hammer and screwdriver. :'(

alantani

ok, this is really going to be no fun, but here goes. 

you were right about cutting a slot with a dremel.  i use the no.409 cutting wheel.  i save the worn down discs for small jobs like this.  you need a cutting wheel small enough to get inside the stuck case.  you will be cutting two slots inside the stuck case, towards the bottom.  go ahead and cut a little deep.  don't worry if you cut through the case a little. 

ok, the two slots are cut.  now you need a socket that is large enough that the stuck case can drop inside when you are successful, but small enough to fully support the plastic housing that holds the case.  if the plastic housing is not adequately supported, you could bend the the side plate.  trust me, it's tough to get them bent back straight. 

now, get a nail punch or center punch.  use your bench grinder to cut a sharp flat face and about a 60 degree angle.  get an able bodied assistant to hold the socket and the side plate in place.  find the slots that you just cut with the sharp end of the punch, use a hammer to tap, alternate each side every couple of taps until you can wiggle the stuck case out of the plastic housing. 

success!  thank your able bodied assistant profusely, have a drink and get back to work.  well done!!!!!

alantani

Quote from: RamseyReelRepair on February 23, 2019, 11:21:18 PM
I'm working on one right now that needed a new roller clutch and since I couldn't get the old one out I got a new side plate and a new clutch but how the heck do you get the clutch in? It acts like the clutch is to big but I know it is correct.

West

i have a massive bench vise and i use it like a press.  i should just break down and get a 1 ton press. 

TheBandit

Thanks Alan
                 Sounds like a plan. I am going to have to wear down a cutting disk, never thought of keeping one. Maybe soak it in Kroil till I'm ready to do this. A little work but it beats buying a side plate.

Anthony

alantani

the wheel just needs to be small enough to fit inside the case.  i always replace the wheels once they are about half size. there are lots of times that the smaller wheels come in really handy!!!!

TheBandit

Success!!! ;D
It took 3 cutting disks and an awful lot of hammering. What a pain. You were right no fun at all. Enjoying my well deserved beer. Now have to wait for the new bearing from Dawn. Thanks for the right idea.

Anthony