Cortez squidder copy

Started by mhc, October 02, 2022, 10:03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhc

I copied one of Tom's classic frames a while ago to make a XN Cortez classic squidder - this time I have started on a set of side plates to go with the frame.
I've got a few more gadgets in the workshop since I made the frame, I started by picking up X Y coordinates of features on Tom's plate with the spool bearing centre as 0.00 0.00 on the mill DRO.
Used an edge finder for straight surfaces,

And a coaxial indicator for circular holes (shown here with a jigmaster plate)

I'm new to the coaxial indicator, I ended up taking the readings three times and averaging the second two.

Next was to cut a slice of 6061 on the bandsaw,

Clean up the ends, turn to a few mm over thickness and drill and tap a centre hole to hold it

Use the DRO to spot drill hole locations;

I used my home made boring head for the bigger holes,

Roughed out the internal shape using various cutters;

More to come later.

Mike

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Wompus Cat

VERY IMPRESSIVE !
Looking forward to updates . Thanks
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

pjstevko

Very cool!

What is the intended use of the XN squidder?

Squidder Bidder

The drills down there turn counter-clockwise, right?  ^-^

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Squidder Bidder on October 02, 2022, 03:25:58 PMThe drills down there turn counter-clockwise, right?  ^-^

Only the Toilet Drains and Prop Wash on Single Engine Cessna's
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

mhc

Thanks guys, PJ I don't have a particular use in mind - general bait fishing in estuaries and inshore usually under about 50 - 60 ft, the XN spool holds enough braid and makes line lay easier.

Quote from: Wompus Cat on October 02, 2022, 03:36:05 PM
Quote from: Squidder Bidder on October 02, 2022, 03:25:58 PMThe drills down there turn counter-clockwise, right?  ^-^

Only the Toilet Drains and Prop Wash on Single Engine Cessna's

Only sometimes...it depends on the clock.. ::)  ;D

To do the outside features, I inverted the X coordinates and left the Y as they were to flip it on the Y axis.

Used an indexable end mill to rough out the bulk of the material;

And used a sharp end mill to cut to shape and the rotab used to set angles.

The rotab in use to cut curves:

A similar process was used on the tail plate. Measuring Tom's plate;

Roughing out;

Cleaning up the internal corners

I could use the lathe for some of the work on the tail plate;

Then back to the rotab for the recessed edge sections;

Thanks
Mike

Robert Janssen

Loving it. Been there... Bravo!!

mhc

Thanks Doc, seeing your creations has been an inspiration to learn how to use these gadgets - I'm still joining dots at the moment but hope to progress.

Mike

steelfish

:cf   uff you're really a master
The Baja Guy

Maxed Out

That workbench was way too clean. Nice to see it covered in shavings as another masterpiece comes to life. Thanks for bringing us along.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

Bill B

Earlier someone was asking for someone to build something... here's your answer 😉
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mhc

Thanks again guys, I appreciate the encouragement. I haven't done much with reels lately but it's good to see there is still some interest in modifying and/or custom reel builds.

Quote from: Bill B on October 03, 2022, 11:19:16 PMEarlier someone was asking for someone to build something... here's your answer 😉
;D  Correct Bill, from memory it was Thorhammer that started that post and it did start me thinking I had probably made all the tooling I need for my mini benchtop machines and should start using them for reel stuff - the purpose I had in mind when I bought them.
Edit - Correction, JasonGotaProblem started the 'someone build something' thread.  John was the first response
Quote from: Maxed Out on October 03, 2022, 08:56:20 PMThat workbench was way too clean. Nice to see it covered in shavings as another masterpiece comes to life. Thanks for bringing us along.
The bench isn't clean very often Ted - it's worth taking a photo when it is  ;D

Mike