Cortez squidder copy

Started by mhc, October 02, 2022, 10:03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothmar2

Nice to see the operations that go into making these plates.

You've come a long way with the milling in a relatively short time.

Keep it coming!

Donnyboat

Eagerly watching Mike, nice to see how a master tradesman does it, thanks for taking us along, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

oldmanjoe

Glad to see some aluminum getting cut , i am tired of cutting trees ..    Looking forward on your progress . 
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

mhc

Thanks again guys, good to see you taking a break from the storm clean up Joe.

A few more photos of progress - I left tapping the bearing cup housings until most of the machining was complete so the threads wouldn't get damaged. Tom's plates have 1/2" x 28 tpi thread;

The state of play, still need a bit of touch up filing and sanding around the frame 'lugs' to match the frame profile;

And the internals installed, with the pinion in both the engaged / disengaged positions showing the eccentric spring has clearance;

And a test fit with a Cortez 146 frame;

I was a bit surprised how well it fit first up - all the screws lined up, it goes into and out of gear smoothly and there is no rubbing. Fingers crossed it stays that way.  ;D

Next is to make a few of the fiddley bits.
Threading a pair of shorter bearing cups to match the cortez cups;

Boring the bearing seat;

And cutting a screwdriver slot with a slitting saw;

The two bearing cups with one of Tom's on the left;

That brings this up to date - a couple more bits to make like clicker button & short eccentric lever then polish and anodizing.

Thanks
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Wompus Cat

Down Right Amazing Skill Set you have Sir !
Beautiful work .
Are you going to be able to turn out fifty SETS or so an hour now ???? ;D
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

mhc

Thanks Henry. With a bit of practice I could probably manage 3 sets a year although my enthusiasm would likely run out half way through the 2nd set. I don't think Cortez Conversions will have anything to worry about or make any royalties from me copying Tom's design.  ;D  ;D 

Mike

Robert Janssen

Again: Bravo, Mike. Well done.
For those who don't quite understand all of this, please do understand that this is a lot harder than it looks.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Robert Janssen on October 05, 2022, 08:42:59 PMAgain: Bravo, Mike. Well done.
For those who don't quite understand all of this, please do understand that this is a lot harder than it looks.

I second that , each step requires thinking before you cut . and each step requires do this before you do that . All manual machine work ...   And learn as you go along or watching the progress .  :d

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JasonGotaProblem

I look at things like this, and I look at the router my dad gave me. And I find myself wanting to get a table or try to rig something up to start learning how to machine stuff. Obviously there's thousands of hours of practice between these musings of mine and being able create anything remotely like that. But it's a nice thought. And a fellas gotta start somewhere right?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

mhc

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on October 06, 2022, 01:04:11 AMI look at things like this, and I look at the router my dad gave me. And I find myself wanting to get a table or try to rig something up to start learning how to machine stuff. Obviously there's thousands of hours of practice between these musings of mine and being able create anything remotely like that. But it's a nice thought. And a fellas gotta start somewhere right?
I don't want to discourage you Jason, but routers are great tools for wood - not so good for metal, they're used for edging, grooves and slotting and usually rely on hand feeding the stock (you learn very quickly not to 'climb cut' with the feed direction the same as the cutter rotation - things literally get out of hand :(  ;D ) and they spin too fast for most metal applications.
Machining metal relies on holding the work securely and moving the work or cutter precisely in a controlled manner. Lightweight benchtop machines like mine aren't considered rigid enough by machinists but are OK for semi-accurate small hobby work. If you want to dip your toe into making parts, an angle grinder, drill press and set of files would be start, and after a year or two of tormenting metal with those you will really appreciate any dedicated machines you get  ;D.

Mike 

mhc

A quick update on this project - I think it's ready to polish and anodize.

I copied Tom's low profile clicker button, turned out of 316 stainless;

Original in the foreground;

I've made another eccentric eccentric lever  ;D. The diameter of the new plates is 3.5mm less than stock - I decided to try leaving the lever at the stock length and moving the stop in 3.5mm and shaping the end in a slide button sort of shape...or something  ???

Roughing on the rotab

Inserted a delrin post where it contacts the plate;

top with grooves for grip  :)

Thanks
Mike

Maxed Out

Nice Mike. Love That eccentric lever !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Rothmar2

Mike, the humble clutch lever has gone through some serious design evolution from you and Ted!

Rocket Dog

all I have to say is WOW.....

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!