Cortez squidder copy

Started by mhc, October 02, 2022, 10:03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhc

Thanks again guys.
Quote from: Rothmar2 on November 17, 2022, 07:33:48 AMMike, the humble clutch lever has gone through some serious design evolution from you and Ted!
It's all Ted's responsibility Chris, he started the 'new style shift lever' movement back in January 2017.

A quick update on this reel - I've had my first attempt at anodizing it, I say first because it's not going to plan at the moment. A few weeks ago I tried to anodize a 501 I had modified a couple of years back but not finished off.

As you can see in the photo, most of the reel was OK but the dye didn't take in a few places at the front of the reel. I wasn't sure what caused it and put it down to me being a bit rusty with the process.
After brushing up on my notes and checking the anodizing tank I ran a couple of test pieces.

They seemed OK, a couple of slight blemishes but they were multiple colors - the darker gold is green over red dye, the lighter gold is red over green dye and the rum color is violet over gold dye.

Thinking it's working as normal I tried doing the squidder copy today

Not as bad as the 501, most of the reel is OK but there is still a couple of patches where the dye didn't take.

After looking closely at the blotches, my current theory is there is a trace of the hard waxy build-up left from the polishing / buffing process.
My small 200 year old ultrasonic cleaner burnt out cleaning test pieces before the 501 attempt which means I've been soaking in simple green but not 'vibrating' as I used to. I didn't use a degreaser after polishing either  :-\
The dye has taken well to unpolished test pieces and the inside surfaces of the plates which would support my theory/ clutch of straws.

I had bought an ultrasonic cleaner on ebay but had the money refunded today, after asking about overdue delivery.

I'll try again when I get hold of a cleaner.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

oldmanjoe

I am enjoying your progress .   I think you are right about the polishing compound residue contamination.
     I know that i have fell victim to it a few times ...
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

mhc

Thanks Joe,
I'm hoping that's the problem - I probably underestimated how effective ultrasonic cleaners are and didn't put enough effort into cleaning without using one. I don't have an assistant or supervisor I can blame, so for now I'll blame Donnyboat - he gave me the buffing wheel and compound I used.  ;D

Mike

Robert Janssen

Again, bravo Mike.
Anodizing is a bit of a black art, and any such effort is commendable. That it didn't go quite right on the first try just goes to show that it is difficult. Learn by doing; you'll get it right next time. Well done.

JasonGotaProblem

You can sub a cheap electric toothbrush for a US cleaner and you'd be surprised how well it works. I put the part in a cup of my solvent of choice and turn the brush on and leave it in the cup tip down. Every time I've told myself I need to leave a part for a while, then came back a few min later to make sure it hadn't tipped over or anything, the part is always already clean when I check it. Sign of success.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Donnyboat

Well Well Well Mike, you can wash the buff through the washing machine, then use braso to do the buffing, braso even cleans ars##?, follow up with alcohol, I am sorry its 3,000 mile across australia, or I would do your machining for you too,
    Jason the electric tooth brush idea sound good, Mike you can borrow mine as I only use it when I shower, thats about once a month, through the winter, keep well, n good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Ron Jones

I can't wait to see how this thing spins! It sounds like you got the color issue on the run, thanks for bringing us along.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Gfish

Great/interesting stuff!
Any updates?, can't wait.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mhc

Thanks guys. Gfish, there's been a bit of sideways movement with this but no progress, I stripped the anodizing and tried again after degreasing and ultrasonic cleaning with simple green - and got similar results with blemishes in different spots and possibly as bad as the first attempt.
Plan C is to strip the anodising again and use a mechanical buff/polish without using a hard compound, maybe something lighter like Simichrome or Autosol which didn't cause any problems on earlier reels.

Mike

oldmanjoe

Interested  on what you find to cause problems with the blemishes .    I have not tried Anodizing and willing to lean from your adventure .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Donnyboat

Thanks for keeping us updated Mike, hope you can get it right, & Merry Xmas, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat