Ted's MOST EXCELLENT Fishing Adventure, Part II, Sept. 2022

Started by El Pescador, October 06, 2022, 11:44:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

Alright Kids, here is Part II of Ted's MOST EXCELLENT Adventure!!!!

Every trip I take, Jennifer always stuffs something to remember her in my fishing bag while I'm away, and this trip is no different!!!  GOD bless that woman!!

Start of a new day in Sekiu, a beautiful day.

After breakfast, we have a 30-minute run to Neah Bay to start our fishing day.

During our short travel, we followed along the most northern part of Washington State, the body of water named the Strait of Juan de Fuca - An interesting story about Juan de Fuca, the man.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strait_of_Juan_de_Fuca 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_de_Fuca

We paid our respects to a fellow member of good standing, TODD from Port Hardy, BC, (he lives about 220 miles north of us) we tipped our hats to him and continued our travels!!!  Eh!!  TODD!!!  or is it TODD!!!  Eh??  EH!!!

We arrive at the Neah Bay Harbor, what a beautiful day and the tide is out!

Ted says Good Morning to everyone!!!

There are some big boats in this harbor!

Capt. Tom is ready for us, we head out and throttle up.

A beautiful day on the water here a few miles out on the Pacific Ocean.

We get out to our Black Rockcod fishing location, and my kinda day!  No wind, easy rollers, no waves!!!!

And we started out 180 ft. drops for Black rockfish, and WOW!!  We were bringing up 2 at a time!!!  and Some of the largest Black Rockfish I've seen!!!

Ted, correct me if I am wrong, BUTT I don't think we were here 35 minutes, and we limited out!!!

DONE and now heading to our next fish species location.

Capt. Tom brings out the Copper Pipe BOMBS!!!!  I've always wanted to fish with a Copper Pipe jig and TODAY I get my wish!!!  Capt. Tom makes all of his Copper Pipe jigs, from 8 oz, to what we are using 2 lbs, and also 4 lbs.

Here is Ted using the elec. reels - after a few laughs about elec. reels, we talked about Lee deep dropping into 600-800 feet of water using a 113H reel!!!  You SIR are a better man than us here today!!!

And I get Ron using his Elec. Reel in the UP MODE - he has 2 California Halibuts!  The California Halibut species here get to 35 lbs.  the REELY BIG BUTTS are north of us, where Gary our very own BUTT MAN lives, and there Pacific Halibut to 450 lbs. are reeled up each season.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/UK1wkNYy-4c    - CLICK on this Link to see Ron using an Elec. Reel

We did drops between 173 meters and 178 meters - Now I learned about the Metric System in High school, around 1970.  And still today I don't have a great conversion app in my brain about meters to feet.

So to help a few members of good standing in the Southern Hemisphere, ie, Donnyboat and MHC specifically,

173 meters (as you understand length) is 567 feet for us here.  And as Ron yelled out "A METER IS 3.3 FEET!"  Well actually, a Meter is 3.28084 feet BUTT who's to argue with a Navy Man!!!!

I use the GAIA app on my phone, and it provides me with the location, speed, and direction to land.  Here is a screenshot of Cape Alava - the MOST WESTERN point of the lower 48 US STATES.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Alava

We have limits on Black Rockfish & Halibut, it is 11:30 AM, time for lunch.  OUr onboard chef Ted makes Smoked Salmon bagels with whipped Cream Cheese.  AND the WHIPPED Cream Cheese is the BOMB for this meal.

Another retort bag of SMOKED KING SALMON - YOU CAN'T GET A BETTER LUNCH ON THE WATER THAN THIS!!!!

LUNCH!!!  TANKS TED!!!!

My Lunch is going fast!!!  TED!!!  How about ANOTHER ONE???

TED!!!!!!!!!!

Now for the NAT GEO portion of our day, a few photos of some of the MOST BEAUTIFUL Coastline I've seen!!!!

Our fish box is full BUTT we have Lingcod to catch.

Sorry BUTT no photos of us Lingcod fishing,  and Like this entire day, fishing here is easy, to say the least.

And here is the man who put this entire trip together - Our MAXED OUT Charter Master TED

WE'RE DONE, Limited out on all three species of fish - heading home...

Just the MOST STUNNING Coastline I've seen up close.

this is Cape Flattery

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Flattery

Cape Flattery is the oldest permanently named feature in Washington state, being described and named by James Cook on March 22, 1778  - HOW COOL IS THAT!!!!

here is the Lighthouse.

Then I look up and see nothing but WHITE CAPS, Water is coming from every direction.  Capt. Tom said we are entering the Wash Bucket - and I see why!!!

We clear the Cape and enter the Strait - all becomes calm again!!!

We arrive back at Neah Bay Harbor, Ted yells out to get this photo!!!

Detail shot!

So, when you are in Neah Bay, Washington next, give Capt. Tom a call, www.excelfishingcharters.com  This guy knows what he is doing!!!!

Dinner that night, you guessed it FRESH FISH!!!  With Ted at the helm of the Elec. Skillet. 

here are 3 species of local fish:  Calif. Halibut, Black Rockfish and Lingcod.  SO FRESH, and SO WELL Cooked, just barely, there is NO TASTE DIFFERENCE between each type of fish, NONE, ZERO.  Some texture diffrenece BUTT for the taste, due to the fact all the fish WERE SO FRESH and prepared so well, ALL THE SAME.

And clean up was easy!!!!

Moon rise over Sekiu Bay

And for this shot, I handed my phone off to Ted!!! 

Hope  you are enjoying our trip as MUCH as we did.  Ted is THE Northwest area guy to call on where and when to fish.

More tomorrow...

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Donnyboat

Thanks Wayne Ted & co, good trip, good memories, keep well & thanks, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

xjchad

Another excellent report Wayne!  What an awesome adventure!
The first pic of your wife's note is the best of all, love it!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Midway Tommy

Looks like quite a magnificent trip!  8)  Thanks for sharing!
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

steelfish

no wonder you named the Most excellent fishing adventure amigo.

great time with friends, great day for fishing and catching was great too.
The Baja Guy

Hardy Boy

Glad you had fun on the wild West Coast. It is a beautiful place. It's great you had super weather and even better fishing. Getting to the right place is most of the battle.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Dominick

Another job well done by Jueno. Ted is the best. I am sorry I could not make that trip. I have a bum knee that will probably have to be replaced. I'll get more done when that is over.  Thanks for the adventure Ted.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gfish

Awesome!
Ted looks lean and healthy, and he made the sandwich's, hmmmm... maybe he works it off, or, he was ready for you Wayne based on your signature quote...
What a trip so far, good on ya chartermaster Ted!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

pjstevko

Another great write up and I felt like I was there....except I didn't get one of those killer looking bagel sandwiches!!!!

Hellva trip guys and looks like great fishing with better friends!

Wayne how about bringing some of that smoked salmon to Morro Bay in Nov?????

Midway Tommy

It's pretty obvious that Ted is clearly La Tour Guide Extraordinaire!  :al
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

sabaman1

Looks like a very productive trip, good to see you guys really put the wood to them!  :d
JIM

Crab Pot

Buy it nice or buy it twice.

broadway

I finally got to read through part 2, and let me say, Wayne, you sire know how to take us a long for the ride.  Thank you1
Ted,  well done getting these guys on fish, bringing that salmon along (only thing better is Ted's albies), and representing the Ohana properly. 
So happy you guys made it through that "wash bucket"... looked pretty hairy!
Well done crew,
Dom