Trouble getting thing's clear on Penn Senator upgrades....

Started by txgent467, October 06, 2022, 11:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

txgent467

Hello all. I'm BOI Galveston Island, TX. Iv'e been searching, clicking, reading and now my brain hurts on this AT website. It's a lot to read and investigate..lol Iv'e been wanting to upgrade from my 90's offshore reel(1.5miles out, yes...that's it) that I use to use which was a Penn330GTI. I still have it in excellent shape but wanted something more durable. I started going through EBAY and found some great deal's on Penn's. I did not realize that maybe I needed to look for certain model's or year's to upgrade. I thought all could be double dogged for instance. Going through the MysticParts website it seems not I'm realizing after the fact of my purchases. I snatched up a Penn 113, 4/0 Senator, 2:1 ratio, black plates, because it was super clean and like $45 and from what I can figure out on MP it's pre 1989. Do they still make any kind of frame upgrade for it? Is there a double dog kit I can install? The most Iv'e found is that I can upgrade the drag, go to a SS gear sleeve, main gear, jack. Am I missing anything? I think I did choose wisely on my second Ebay find, I also purchased a Penn 113HL Special Senator2, maroon plates, with a Accuframe already on it. I believe I can upgrade to a double dog on this one as well as the other SS part's. Am I correct?  The last one I bought is I think the newest. This one was going to be my biggest bait reel in case I was going for over a 5' Blacktip. Penn 114HLW with the factory full frame. What all can be modded internally on this one? I was hoping I'd come across a simple list of aftermarket upgrades broke down by year's under the Penn Senator Tut's and Question section but alas, tis not the case. I'm trying to make a simple shopping list for part's which most it seems are on MysticPart's. I'm not trying to dremmel the side plate for dual dog's but I'm hoping there are some bolt in option's for them on the 114HLW. Trying to figure out this Tanking thing is hard on this 54 year old brain. Please direct me when ya have the time.

Squidder Bidder

Wompus Cat

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

txgent467

Quote from: Squidder Bidder on October 06, 2022, 11:23:46 PMTiburon makes frame upgrades for 3/0 and 4/0 Senators:

https://tiburonfishingreels.com/penn-senator/

Our own Tom at Cortez Conversions makes a 113 bridge assembly with double ss dogs:

https://www.cortezconversions.com/product-page/penn-113hn-us113-senator-bridge-assembly

In stock SS Gear sleeves:

https://www.prochallenger.com/

Thanks Squid. I had saw that list before while searching or googling....but wasn't sure if it was an oldie. I came across a similar list from AccuFrames....emailed them and they said they hadn't made frames for a few year's. So that's good to know about Tiburon. Your the greatest....

Swami805

My take, the 113 doesn't have much available in after market parts and there's not much real potential since the gears are small for that size reel.  I wouldn't do much, ht100 drag washers greased with cals  grease and call it good.  You can get in the weeds and swap some parts with other penns but to me not really with it. Fill it with 30lb mono and it's fine
The 113H has lots of aftermarket parts. Check mistic parts, Cortez conversions and pro challenger, they all have a presence on here and make some outstanding products. The 113h2 it think is make offshore. I don't know how the after market parts work on those
The 114h is pretty good out of the box, I believe you can find SS gears sleeve and drag washers
Tiburon makes frames for the 113H, and 114H but don't think the 113
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Shellbelly

If it's a Senator in black, doesn't have an "H", and doesn't have ball bearings you are limited in available options that would produce a significant "fishing" return.  Many consider them too slow.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

day0ne

First off, age doesn't really matter on the Penn Senators until you get to the Chinese H2 models. Except for minor differences, they are basically the same when it comes to upgrades. Secondly, double dogging, while nice, isn't strictly necessary. The 113H and 114H reels are plenty strong, especially with a SS gear sleeve and an SS dog.
https://www.smoothdrag.com/wp/stainless-gear-sets/
On the 114H, I prefer the 3.25-1 SS gear set to the stock 2.8-1, like I prefer the 4.0-1 gearset in the 113H, but both are a matter of preference. Most of my 113H reels have the double dog bridge, but once again a matter of preference. In both the 113H(L) and the 114H(L), all you really need are the SS gear sleeve and dog and if you don't already have it, the carbontex/HT100 drag washers. As a minimum, the 113H gets the 6-113HSP Kit and the 114H gets the 6-114HSP Kit. Bryan Young's 7+1 kits are also available from Mystic Parts for more drag from both the 113H(L) and the 114H(L).
The 113 is in a case by itself. While it can be upgraded to the so called "Grouper Special", It is still a slow retrieve, small drag reel.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

txgent467

Quote from: Shellbelly on October 07, 2022, 12:29:43 AMIf it's a Senator in black, doesn't have an "H", and doesn't have ball bearings you are limited in available options that would produce a significant "fishing" return.  Many consider them too slow.
Thanks for the input. Yeah it's a basic 113. Original box doesn't say ball bearings like my other two new models i bought. So pretty sure i have an oldie 113 and it does have black plates

txgent467

Quote from: Swami805 on October 07, 2022, 12:02:43 AMMy take, the 113 doesn't have much available in after market parts and there's not much real potential since the gears are small for that size reel.  I wouldn't do much, ht100 drag washers greased with cals  grease and call it good.  You can get in the weeds and swap some parts with other penns but to me not really with it. Fill it with 30lb mono and it's fine
The 113H has lots of aftermarket parts. Check mistic parts, Cortez conversions and pro challenger, they all have a presence on here and make some outstanding products. The 113h2 it think is make offshore. I don't know how the after market parts work on those
The 114h is pretty good out of the box, I believe you can find SS gears sleeve and drag washers
Tiburon makes frames for the 113H, and 114H but don't think the 113
Thanks for your input Swami....

txgent467

Quote from: day0ne on October 07, 2022, 12:34:35 AMFirst off, age doesn't really matter on the Penn Senators until you get to the Chinese H2 models. Except for minor differences, they are basically the same when it comes to upgrades. Secondly, double dogging, while nice, isn't strictly necessary. The 113H and 114H reels are plenty strong, especially with a SS gear sleeve and an SS dog.
https://www.smoothdrag.com/wp/stainless-gear-sets/
On the 114H, I prefer the 3.25-1 SS gear set to the stock 2.8-1, like I prefer the 4.0-1 gearset in the 113H, but both are a matter of preference. Most of my 113H reels have the double dog bridge, but once again a matter of preference. In both the 113H(L) and the 114H(L), all you really need are the SS gear sleeve and dog and if you don't already have it, the carbontex/HT100 drag washers. As a minimum, the 113H gets the 6-113HSP Kit and the 114H gets the 6-114HSP Kit. Bryan Young's 7+1 kits are also available from Mystic Parts for more drag from both the 113H(L) and the 114H(L).
The 113 is in a case by itself. While it can be upgraded to the so called "Grouper Special", It is still a slow retrieve, small drag reel.
Good info dayone. Thanks. I have been thinking of changing ratio's out.

txgent467

Thanks to all. I spoke to Wompus on the tele...got me squared away into a direction. Appreciate everyone's help. Thanks.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: txgent467 on October 07, 2022, 01:13:57 AMThanks to all. I spoke to Wompus on the tele...got me squared away into a direction. Appreciate everyone's help. Thanks.

You have a Formidable Arsenal with what you have just need to decide how MUCHO you want to SPENDO ...... Beware the Rabbit HOLE.......... ::)
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

JasonGotaProblem

Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

MarkT

I like and embrace the rabbit hole. Once you start to ask yourself "what can I do to make it better", you're done. Why else are you here?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!