Any sources for a bail less kit for the 710?

Started by SevenYearsDown, October 07, 2022, 05:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SevenYearsDown

All I see are the kits for the 704, but the 704 is too big for my purposes. I wonder if the kit for the 704 would work on a 710?

oldreelcatchum

I looked into this last year, (before joining here) after seeing some how-to posts somewhere but decided not to go bailess for now. A search had no results here. Hopefully a member will reply. You can also go to Stripersonline forum and type in search "penn 710 bailess kit". There's 24+ posts, some are step by step w/ pics. Hope it works out.

Midway Tommy

There are no kits for that purpose. You'll have to make your own adaptation, and "there's more than one way to skin a cat".
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Yes, you can just install the PUM pick-up from a 700/704 onto a 710.

Here is one I just tried using spare parts out of the bins.

You can use it with the bail spring —- or you can remove the bail spring keeping the angle lever stationary by tightening the bail screw.

Best, Fred

Works great either way
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Cuttyhunker

There were some Youtube vids from tackle shops that were making bail less kits, was a few years ago but they may still be in business.
Doomed from childhood

handi2

The 704 kit is too tall for the smaller 710 reel.

It's been tried and failed before
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Midway Tommy

Like I indicated earlier, there were/are no bailess kits made specifically for the 710, or the 712. One has to adapt to, or modify, what's already there.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

You can make one with the 710 line roller, a brass or stainless sleeve, a small stainless machine screw and lock nut.  You may find a piece of K&S tubing that the sleeve can be cut from.  The O.D. of the sleeve has to fit inside the line roller.  The machine screw has to fit inside the brass sleeve.  The length of the sleeve is just ever so slightly longer than the line roller so it does not bind.

Or, just cut the bail wire off and shape the conical nub with mill bastard files to suit your taste.

GHETTOWRAPPED

Mitchell 306/406 MPU will work...the 710 bail trip lever will need to be filed to fit in the MPU slot.  This is a common upgrade along with the 712 gear swap.