8 Cardinals

Started by Christopher M Songer, October 16, 2022, 09:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher M Songer

Besides the print, what is the difference between these 2 spools? Thanks[attach id=117366]
Always go forward, never go straight

reelrepair123

i think just a newer model , it will work no problem.  harryk

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Christopher M Songer on October 20, 2022, 07:27:04 PMBesides the print, what is the difference between these 2 spools? Thanks[attach id=117366]

Nothing, just a little newer version of the same spool as Harry indicated. The originals didn't have the yardage writing. The writing came around '77/'78.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

jgp12000

Is there a thread on the Cardinal history? I was curious about the 3s,some have the Abu crest/Zebco Cardinal 3 on the cover side with a black drag knob.Some models just have the Crest on the cover side with the light colored drag knob.Which model is earlier and what years were they made? I saw one on ebay stating it was "expertly painted" what are the correct paint colors? Does anyone have the link for the aluminum spools? I will look for Tommy's tutorial until I see more,they must be great reels.I was just a teenager in the late 70s primarily a Zebco 33 fisherman back then,had I known better would have had got some of these guys.

Midway Tommy

The ABU Cardinal history is fairly long and detailed. I'll expand on it one of these days, but for now: The first Cardinal came out in 1965, a 6/66. Shortly thereafter they came out with the 7/77, the exact same reel with a larger rotor cup and spool. The 4/44 actually came out in 1969 but the earliest ones have a 1968 date. The 3 came out in 1974. The originals were dark green with a cream rotor. In '78 they changed the side plate style a little and that is when the European versions changed to tan with a black rotor and black drag knob. The Zebco version stayed green with a black drag knob. ABU bought Garcia when Garcia went bankrupt. In 1984 manufacturing moved to Japan and new style black skirted spool ABU Garcia version replaced the original non-skirted spool version and the 5 replaced the 6 & 7. The black skirted spool ABU Garcias ceased sales/production in the early '90s.

Google Les Shaw for 3 & 4 aluminum spools, although a couple of other guys sell them but theirs don't always fit perfectly.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)