TLD 15 grinding (not bearing)

Started by sebastianr240, November 04, 2022, 12:35:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sebastianr240

Interesting thing i found here. I realized that this reel is older and made in japan. I'm not sure when they changed it from japan to malaysia.. but that did get me thinking. I looked at a 2003 schematic of a tld15 and then the current schematic from the shimano website.

The older reels have an extra thrust washer under the 2nd spool bearing on the right side of the spool (key #36) but that part is nowhere to be found on the newer schematic. However.. on my reel that washer is nowhere to be found either. The thing is i'm not sure if it's even supposed to be there.

I have noticed though that just pushing the spool a bit to right with my finger while reeling makes the gears a lot quieter. Maybe there's something there...

Old Schematic:
https://www.reelschematic.com/wp-content/uploads/schematics/Shimano/Triton/SHIMANO%20TLD15(2003).pdf

New Schematic:
http://images.salsify.com/image/upload/s--xbKNJSUz--/pbzj8fxbygnbw8wrl8oh.pdf

Just food for thought at this point. Not sure if i'm gonna be able to resolve the issue. I know for a fact the reel is not functioning like it should. But it's hard to demonstrate without having it in your own hands, like Alan said.

sebastianr240

I guess some stories do have a happy ending.

One of my friends paid me 100$ to help him out with my homework. Naturally, I went online to look at deals on eBay for used reels. I found this old japanese tld in super mint condition. It looks like it's never seen the water, and i only paid 70$. Even better thing is the handle binding is basically non existent on this reel and the gears are a million times quieter. Also no random noises coming from the spool in free-spool. All it needs are some new spool bearings, which I have from the other reel... and just about every other part i could possibly need :)

SoCalAngler

For me what I hear on the tld15 is just the anti-reverse mechanism. Maybe there's something else that I cannot pick up in your video.

Also in that real if it has the older canvas drags in it I would swap it over to carbontex. The canvas drag has a tendency to get sticky/jumping at startup overtime.

handi2

This is a Shimano Charter Special turned into a TLD. I think I've modified more TLD reels than any other. They are excellent multitasking reels,

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL