Penn 80W cam follower pin mystery

Started by PetesReelRepair, November 27, 2022, 11:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PetesReelRepair

Hello all,

New to the forum, have read many a thread and post on here for years, great resource.

Reposting in this location as I probably originally posted in not the best location (general troubleshooting).

I have a full time job, but run a side business doing reel service and repair in Eastern NC.  I find it incredibly satisfying and pretty therapeutic.

So, first troubleshooting issue I have ever been completely stumped on.

Servicing three Penn Intl 80W for a client who uses them for blue fin tuna.  He's had them for four years, received them through his family.  Doesn't have the full history on their past repair and servicing events.

2/3 had drag or freespool issues that I traced back to the drag cam follower pins, they were seriously grooved and deformed.  This makes sense given BFT fishing.  The third, its pins were worn too.  Checked schematic, ordered 6x 142-80ST which supersedes the original 142-80.  Mystic Parts says they need to have about 1/32" ground off as they are slightly longer than the 142-80.

Got the pins and they are much, much larger than the damaged pins in all dimensions.  Much too thick for the holes in the cam assembly.

After brainstorming for a couple days I have a theory that the cam assemblies in these 80Ws are for a 50W which does have smaller cam follower pins.  How this came about, perhaps the wrong parts were ordered in a past overhaul or the right parts weren't available, who knows.  Theory only holds water if the drag cam assembly from the 50W fits the 80W side plate.  It could be that the only difference is the size of the follower pins.  Mystic's photos are on a nice inch grid and the assemblies look to be the same diameter.

However another twist is when I look up the 141-80 cam follower I generally see two different parts, one with a slight raised shoulder below the pin holes.

Anyway, if my theory is correct I can either order 50W pins, 80W cam assemblies, or do both in case one option doesn't pan out.  I would much rather provide the client with 80Ws with the correct sized pins that will have better functionality and longevity. But, much more difficult to find all the cam assembly parts and he needs the reels soon.

Thoughts or advice much appreciated.  Especially if anyone knows if the 50W and 80W cam assemblies are the same diameter.

Marlinmate

FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!