Penn 209 Drag Modification

Started by M105580, November 04, 2022, 02:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

Too much techno for a simple multiplier reel....
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shellbelly

Quote from: handi2 on November 12, 2022, 12:14:05 AMToo much techno for a simple multiplier reel....
Maybe, probably, but I believe similar thoughts and processes began decades ago with the 99, 140, 500 series reels.  Those are basic multipliers as well and remarkable innovations have evolved for them.

Maybe it's X09's turn for some studying to see if anything can be done for them.  Personally, I'd start with the frame.  You can do all you want with drags, but the frame likes to twist a bit when you get into 20# fish.

"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Gfish

That's a good idea. Worked on several 309's and 209's and a couple of 210's. The frames could be better to prevent twist. I'd rather replace LW parts than gears.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Shellbelly

Quote from: Gfish on November 13, 2022, 07:30:30 PMThe frames could be better to prevent twist.

Yep.  Level wind versions of Long Beach 66/67 would've been pretty cool. 
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)

jurelometer

Quote from: M105580 on November 09, 2022, 07:04:48 PMI suspect I'm not the only one here who comes from an engineering background.

Actually not too many that post stuff.  A few members used to get a bit hostile over "sciency" posts, but nowadays just the occasional snarky remark or two.

And it seems that there is some interest with the general population. Keith is correct that it doesn't make practical sense to do a mechanical engineering rescue of a 209, but it is a fun exercise for some of us, and helps some other members  to get a deeper understanding of how reels work.

None of this sport fishing stuff is remotely practical anyways...

Quote from: Shellbelly on November 13, 2022, 06:42:02 PM
Quote from: handi2 on November 12, 2022, 12:14:05 AMToo much techno for a simple multiplier reel....

Maybe, probably, but I believe similar thoughts and processes began decades ago with the 99, 140, 500 series reels.  Those are basic multipliers as well and remarkable innovations have evolved for them.

Maybe it's X09's turn for some studying to see if anything can be done for them.  Personally, I'd start with the frame.  You can do all you want with drags, but the frame likes to twist a bit when you get into 20# fish.

You are in luck!  There are a gazillion threads here on this very topic. Mostly in the Jigmaster sub-forum, but  also Senator, and general reel repair.

IMHO, solid frames can really help casting distance on the reels that you mentioned by keeping reel square and the bearings and spindle well aligned.  Especially on wider reels.  But making the frame stiffer only addresses a small part of the problem for improving load capacity. 

-J

Shellbelly

Quote from: jurelometer on November 14, 2022, 01:11:50 AMbut it is a fun exercise for some of us, and helps some other members  to get a deeper understanding of how reels work.
Exactly! These subjects are fun and results, while not always as expected, are always interesting.

Bringing a 209 to the bench isn't without merit.  It's a prolific model for many reasons.

Brewcrafter

Quote from: jurelometer on November 14, 2022, 01:11:50 AMbut it is a fun exercise for some of us, and helps some other members  to get a deeper understanding of how reels work.

I agree with Dave - While it may be decades after the fact, the only way ANY of the reels we use today evolved and got better was through the same type of experimentation that we are talking about here.  Folks that had to justify budgets to the Bosses back in the day probably called it "Research & Development"  ;D   There are many examples on this forum of reels that made it to market that either shouldn't have or "could have been better".  I have to also suspect in the dustbins at any of the manufacturers (probably more so in the old days before CAD/CAM) that there were many fascinating reels that were abject failures but "they learned something".  (Boy would those be fun to see!)

Kudos to Alan and those on this site that are not afraid to take the high dollar "latest and greatest" from the top manufacturers brand new out of the box and "mess with them".  Kinda like buying that new factory car under warranty and immediately fabricating a set of exhaust headers for it.

JasonGotaProblem

Yeah I almost didn't bother with this thread because this isn't a reel that interests me. But I know how sometimes surprise gems come out of these type discussions, and this one is no different.

I think those with hostility to the more technical posts have learned they can just keep scrolling, there's no need for battle. This forum seems to serve as the external r&d dept for a few modern reel companies. Ideas broached here have made their way to factory floors, to the benefit of the anglers. That starts with folks being nerdy about tackle and talking about it.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.