Mid May Expectaions

Started by Keta, October 28, 2023, 05:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I am on a 3 day trip out of SD for a friend's memorial and would like to know what is normaly targeted mid May and what is possable.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gobi King

what city?
2 big snows in Marchish, cold nights, sunny days around freezing.

you driving?
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bill B

Mid May, bluefin tuna (if they are still here) otherwise rock fish, halibut, and White Sea bass.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Keta

Rockfish and California halibut will not thrill the people going but BFT will and WSB should.

Mark Twain

pjstevko

Your title says March and your post says May.... Either way it'll be bft or rockfish and yellowtail or a mix of all three

Keta

D'oh!  Corrected.

YT should make them happy.  We have great rockfish and lingcod fishing in Oregon so not much interest in them on this trip.  Most of the guys going would like to target BFT but I can take or leave them and am only interested in fish in the 35#-60# range..... or over 400# .   We do get a  few YT and BFT up here and  I would not mind a few WSB myself.

Mark Twain

pjstevko

Mid May will almost definitely be bft. I'm SD bft have been caught on sportboats basically as soon as they're back in water from winter maintenance. I've caught them their as early as the beginning of March

Brewcrafter

Lee - That is a tough one.  We have been spoiled for the last few years and bluefin have been around.  Go back awhile (okay, I'm old). and those early season trips (while many of the Long Range Boats are still in dry dock getting ready) were collectively referred to a "Freezer Specials" and and favorite spot was to hug the coastline and head down to Colonet, and load up on rockfish and other bottomfish.  The world environment is a different place now, so a 3-day chasing early season bluefin is not unreasonable as has happened the last few years, I hope that's what you will be looking at!  Heck, if we all had a perfect crystal ball, we would know when albacore are coming back out of San Diego.... ;D - john

Keta

Any trip is hard to plan for this far out.

My freezer is full of YT and YFT from the last 8 day.

Mark Twain

sciaenops

1.5-3 d in spring means Bluefin

sabaman1

Lee, May is usually a good time to target yellowtail and bluefin for trips of the 1 1/2 to 3 day length leaving out of the San Diego landings. Live bait and yoyo iron setups would be good choices.
JIM