New Pro Gear V50 Blown Apart

Started by handi2, June 21, 2018, 07:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcq

Quote from: handi2 on July 31, 2018, 09:51:27 PM
I think it's a tad larger in diameter than the 500 reel. Ill have to measure. Its back in the box on the shelf.

Yeah! That's what I figured

Thanks, Marc..

Reel 224

Got my Pro Gear V50 today, nice reel! I haven't had time to open it up yet as I have rods on the lathe to finish. I do know it is a bit larger then the Penn 500. So far I think it is a nice reel for the east cost fishing that I do. As soon as I get caught up with rod builds I will take it down and take pictures as Keith did...............Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Marcq

Quote from: Reel 224 on August 05, 2018, 01:54:25 AM
Got my Pro Gear V50 today, nice reel! I haven't had time to open it up yet as I have rods on the lathe to finish. I do know it is a bit larger then the Penn 500. So far I think it is a nice reel for the east cost fishing that I do. As soon as I get caught up with rod builds I will take it down and take pictures as Keith did...............Joe

Hey Joe!! Thanks for the feedback, meant to take my V20 apart but don't have the time also

Marc..

badfish71

Do you happen to have pictures of the drag stack?

Reel 224

I still haven't had the time needed to brake it down yet but I will take pictures of the whole operation like Keith did............Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

handi2

It's been a while. I spooled my Pro Gear V-50 today with 360 yards of Daiwa J braid. It's a great 8  strand braid.

To my surprise with the star tightened hard it was 10 lbs of drag. I took it back of the rod and went back in the reel. The Carbon drag material is very soft. I made 3 new Carbontex washers. The size is 3/8 x 1 5/16 x 1mm thickness.

Now I get 20lbs tightened hard. Advertised drag is 25lbs.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

mitch27

thanks for the up date. I'm looking to buy one of these. your tutorial was very good thanks mitch27

SoCalAngler

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but is Progear still in business? The last I heard is they were gone, again.

I really liked their reels, I have owned some and still have one of the earlier models but support dropped off before, no new reels were built and then several years later they came back to life. Then to me it seems that they went away again.

I could be totally wrong and don't want to state untruths but I don't think ProGear has produced and new reels for a couple of years now. Am I missing something?

oc1

I bought a V20 when Keith started this thread a year ago (thanks Keith).  The ebay price has gone up twenty-five bucks (now about $155 shipped for V50) but they are still being offered NIB and still seem like a really good deal.  I was going to sit on mine but the kids took one look and had to have it for light trolling.
-steve

mrwilson99

Been fishing the Vengeance, Violator and SD series (latest ones) and love them. Do fish my older ones also.
David

mackereljoe

Thanks Keith.  Appreciate the info on the carbonatex size.  I was getting the same #10 drag pressure and ended up sanding the washer flat that got me above 15.  I'm going to order the carbonatex now.

handi2

This reel is for sale. Its still brand new in the box. Its never been on a rod.

I will post in in the for sale section also.

Keith

$120.00 Shipped USPS in USA
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL