saltiga frame problems

Started by alantani, December 23, 2008, 02:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jurelometer

Quote from: Gfish on March 22, 2023, 09:47:30 PMAlex, that screw hole in the Furry was for a rod clamp, right. What's the opposing side's hole look like?
Now I'm wondering about the the 1980's Daiwa Sealine reels I have. Aluminum 2-piece frame & side-plate, with the steel rings on the outside. "Cast" aluminum? But yeah, the steel rings on the outside would reinforce the the edges. But maybe only against being banged by something? Ever see/hear of the frame & plate cracking on these, maybe at the screw hole?

Cast aluminum  strength isn't much of a issue if the parts are designed properly. All sorts  of machinery is made from cast Al.  It varies a bit by alloy, but compared to forged or machined 6061, cast will be a bit more brittle, breaking where 6061 might flex, bend, or dent.  Cast will also tend to be less saltwater corrosion resistant.

But those old Penn aluminum spools were cast aluminum, and they held up just fine. And all those old Penn spinners had cast bodies...

I would't drop that Sealine from a tall building onto concrete, or whack it with a hammer, but I probably wouldn't do that to a bar stock reel either.

-J

jurelometer

Quote from: jurelometer on March 22, 2023, 01:45:03 AMAlex: That blown out hole in the Accurate has got to be an accident/workmanship issue, or a customer trying to do an oversized tap for a repair job. I can't believe that somebody would design that in. If somebody tried to use the clamp with a deckhand mount...  Do they all come like that?

-J

Answering my own question.   Check out the photos in Johhn's tutorial:

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6334.0

The clamp screw hole is not blown out, but it is right on the edge.  I get that Accurate wanted to make a narrow reel, but a tenth of an inch wider to properly accommodate a reel clamp would not be a big deal.  Maybe they figured out that they needed to widen the clamp a bit late in the process, and could not justify going back to square one.

Blech.

-J

steelfish

Quote from: jurelometer on March 22, 2023, 01:45:03 AMAlex: That blown out hole in the Accurate has got to be an accident/workmanship issue, or a customer trying to do an oversized tap for a repair job.

well this seems to be a human mistake after all but having the hole for the clam posts at the very edge of the frame doesnt help at all.

this reel was brought to me with only one clamp post after checking the reel which it has a bad scratch/hit on the edge of the gearbox cover and also the spool lip was bent or deformed by over tighten the reel clamp screw or something, so either the reel got a pretty strong hit by a fall which caused the reel clamp screw to break the frame and hit the spool lip or someone took out the reel clamp screw for servicing with grease and then when installing it back used a lot of force which broke the frame and continue to hit the spool lip.

in the 1st picture you can see how the reel clamp screw reached the spool leaving a bent on it and an ugly mark

The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: jurelometer on March 23, 2023, 12:45:21 AM
Quote from: jurelometer on March 22, 2023, 01:45:03 AMAlex: That blown out hole in the Accurate has got to be an accident/workmanship issue, or a customer trying to do an oversized tap for a repair job. I can't believe that somebody would design that in. If somebody tried to use the clamp with a deckhand mount...  Do they all come like that?

-J

Answering my own question.  Check out the photos in Johhn's tutorial:

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6334.0

The clamp screw hole is not blown out, but it is right on the edge.  I get that Accurate wanted to make a narrow reel, but a tenth of an inch wider to properly accommodate a reel clamp would not be a big deal.  Maybe they figured out that they needed to widen the clamp a bit late in the process, and could not justify going back to square one.

Blech.

-J

dannnng !! no wonder why my friend's reel got that ugly hole on the reel clamp screw, the reel already came with half the hole about to break

picture taken from the thread you linked
The Baja Guy

jurelometer

Sorry to take this thread further of topic, but want to add a bit more on that  Accurate:

I'm changing my vote to agree with Alex. It sure seems to be a design error after all. With such a thin wall, tightening the clamp slightly unevenly (like we all do) would provide enough angular force to blow out that edge, and then the clamp is not being held well at all, so of course the customer will continue to tighten until the clamp screw crashes into the spool.

Quote from: steelfish on March 23, 2023, 12:55:00 AMthis reel was brought to me with only one clamp post after checking the reel which it has a bad scratch/hit on the edge of the gearbox cover and also the spool lip was bent or deformed by over tighten the reel clamp screw or something, so either the reel got a pretty strong hit by a fall which caused the reel clamp screw to break the frame and hit the spool lip or someone took out the reel clamp screw for servicing with grease and then when installing it back used a lot of force which broke the frame and continue to hit the spool lip.

in the 1st picture you can see how the reel clamp screw reached the spool leaving a bent on it and an ugly mark

And if the screw hole is a through hole under the spool lip, then the clamp screw needs a stop to prevent it from damaging the spool.

I can't help but compare the frame quality to something like the Cortez Conversions stuff. 

I have some empathy for the smaller reel manufacturers. They are often the ones that take the risks to push the market forward.  But when something goes wrong, they  should be willing to make it right, and not make excuses.  Part of the cost of that particular business model.

Found this thread on BD from when the Boss Fury was new(er).

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/accurate-600-extra-narrow-reel-clamp-screws.445991/

"The reel seat was too wide" —- hah!

-J