Pre-1960 big game reels & rods

Started by Daniel Z, November 13, 2022, 07:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shellbelly

Are these blanks easier to wrap than round ones?  Are there different techniques that are necessary with square blanks?
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Swami805

I've never wrapped a square blank but done a fair amount of octagon and hexagon.  They Bounce around some on the lathe ,gotta go slow. Can also wrap them with tape where the rollers are to round if off some which could work out ok on a square one
Do what you can with that you have where you are

oldmanjoe

I do 98% of my wrapping in my lap watching tv on the couch . It does not make a difference round , octagon , square or d shape it`s all the same ..   I hold the spool in my left hand and turn the stick with my right hand .  I pack the threads with my right thumb nail as i go .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Shellbelly

Quote from: oldmanjoe on December 02, 2022, 12:24:01 AMI pack the threads with my right thumb nail as i go .
That's how I was taught to do it.  I inherited the technology of a 60's Netcraft kit from my grandfather.  Human-powered analog rod wrapping.  It came to me complete with my grandmother's clear nail polish. 
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)