Which DAM Series to Fish With?

Started by akroper, November 14, 2022, 06:47:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akroper

Hello,
I fished a DQ 330 for years in the early 70's to mid 80's.  Then I got caught up in the "buy new reels every two or three years" cycle until about seven years ago, when I started buying and fishing vintage Penn Spinfishers.  I recently bought a yard sale DQ 330N and rediscovered the quality and beauty of these reels.  I've decided to sell all my Penns and put together a stable of DQ reels.  I'm a fisherman first and foremost, and I can't afford to be a collector.  So the Penns must go to finance my new obsession.  I want to buy cheap and fully restore (that's half the fun) at least four each of all five sizes.   

My question is this:  What series of DQ reels should I be looking at?  I fish for everything from 8 inch stocked rainbows to 50 pound king salmon.  A few of the larger reels would need to be set up and maintained for saltwater use.  Is there any advantage of the N series over the earlier reels?  Or should I be looking at some of the later reels?  Or a mix of styles?  These would be used hard but maintained well.  No shelf queens need apply.

All opinions are welcome, even if you're going to chastise me for choosing the DQ's over the Penns. https://alantani.com/smileys/default/cheesy.gif

Best Regards,   Ron
Nine of the eleven voices in my head are telling me to go fishing today.

foakes

It is personal choice between the Penn Spinfishers and the DAM Quicks, Ron...In my opinion.

Any of the DQ's are substantial, capable, and tough reels —-

There are about 50 that I consider worthwhile —- ranging from small Microlites (5) —- to (7) of the largest ones.

Plus another 38 in between these two ranges.

This would include the reels from the 50's & 60's —- up through the late 80's

Early series —- 265, 270, 280, 285

Finessa series —- 110, 220, 221, 330, 331, 440, 550

"N" Series —- 110N, 220N, 330N, 331N, 440N, 441N, 550N

'00 Champion series —- 1000, 1400, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000

'01 Champion series —- 1001, 1401, 2001, 3001, 4001, 5001

'02 Series —- 1001, 1202, 2002, 3002, 4001, 5001

All of these are excellent reels with steel worm drives, bronze mains, oversized main bearing, aircraft-grade aluminum, plus other exceptional parts and engineering.

None will let you down —- and can be handed down to your kids after a lifetime of you fishing them.

I have worked on these as a speciality for over 40 years —- and have the largest inventory of organized parts in the world.

Generally have 500-600 complete DQ's in stock, plus around
300,000 to 400,000 organized parts.

However, if you also have Penn Spinfishers in the old Greenies or the newer Spinfisher SS's —- they are fantastic and strong reels also.

So maybe —- take a look at what you need to fill holes in your arsenal —- add a few DQ's —- but keep some of the Penn's.

Then decide which you want to keep for your personal equipment. 

It really depends on what type of fishing you intend to do.

Then I could give you a little better specific model advice.

Both of these brands are excellent.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jgp12000

I am a novice on DQs,but do have a 265(Microlite),110N(Fred),220,280 Finessa(Fred Restored,Ted gave me)and a 270 super.I have only fished with the 1st 3 reels listed.My choice would be the 265 or a PENN 716 Greenie(Fred) for the Trout.The 270 Super should handle the Salmon or "JAWS"...

handi2

I have a number of the DQ reels but in my opinion they are just too slow and clunky. Just like the Penn 704/706.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

Quote from: handi2 on November 14, 2022, 10:49:02 PMI have a number of the DQ reels but in my opinion they are just too slow and clunky. Just like the Penn 704/706.

Hi Keith —-

Glad to buy all of your old, clunky, slow, DAM Quicks!

Best Always, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

kjdunne

akroper, Welcome to the site...
I have to agree with Fred, the early Penn Spinfishers and DQs are pretty much a toss up.  I have DQ 110, 330 (2) and a recently acquired 550, and a Penn 704 Greenie in my collection of fishers.  No shelfies here either.  I've not fished the 550 yet, but the 704 has given me years of dependable surf duty, as it did the friend who gave it to me. Great guy!  The simplicity, ruggedness, and quality of these reels can't be matched today, even at the high end top dollar reels with "too many moving parts", IMHO.

Again, welcome aboard the site with the most knowledge and friendliest members willing to share it.
Kal

Barishi

I know this is an old thread, but just curious, as a much newer fisherman, how durable are the line rollers of the DAM 270 and 280s? Does the paint falling off the spool affect casting distance? AFAIK the Finessa 110-550 series and above have tungsten carbite line rollers but what about their predecessors?

Would love to have one of these, but these factors do make me reconsider. Also, I'm sort of clumsy, and the anti reverse acts on the main gear so I fear that I will damage it...If this is not a big problem, most of the fish where I live are relatively small under 10kg (22lb), so which model should I get? Probably gonna use mono.

foakes

The AR system is one of the toughest ever used in any spinning reel. 

You will never wear out the main or pinion worm gear in a lifetime of trying.  The crank axle is steel, very thick, and the main gear is phosphor cut bronze.

When we return home tomorrow, I will check out the line guides for you —- materials and interchangeability.

We are camping up in the higher Sierras —- but there is a cell tower straight across the lake that we are 1200' above.  4 bars!  Little bit of snow at our elevation.  Camper is nice and cozy.  Had BBQ Rib-Eye last night.

Drinking Starbucks right now.  Pretty spoiled!

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Gfish

All reels to my knowledge, have at least one weak thing about 'em. Might be as benign as the finish(benign to me, anyway). I think the same way about reel finishes as I do a car's; get some scrapes on it, then I don't godda worry about pristine preservation anymore, just cover it with something protective and continue to use it without having to be so careful.

I had a nice Quick 110, tough little trout reel. I liked to drink beer while fishing, way back then. Leaned it on my trunk and forgot about it. Backed right over it. Heartbreaking, best reel I ever had to date(at that time), but was surprised at how little damage it had. Cracked the gear-box and ruined the handle. But, the week before, I dropped my Daiwa Silver series spincaster and it hit a rock and smashed the AR system to smithereens. Couldn't repair it. Plastic crap and cheap metal...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Barishi

Quote from: foakes on November 17, 2022, 04:20:50 PMThe AR system is one of the toughest ever used in any spinning reel. 

You will never wear out the main or pinion worm gear in a lifetime of trying.  The crank axle is steel, very thick, and the main gear is phosphor cut bronze.

When we return home tomorrow, I will check out the line guides for you —- materials and interchangeability.

We are camping up in the higher Sierras —- but there is a cell tower straight across the lake that we are 1200' above.  4 bars!  Little bit of snow at our elevation.  Camper is nice and cozy.  Had BBQ Rib-Eye last night.

Drinking Starbucks right now.  Pretty spoiled!

Best, Fred

Fred, how does it work? The AR and the gear is one unit as far as I can tell, but I never see it in disassembly

Also, do you ship internationally if I get a part? Just in case something's done for

foakes

We are still camping, back mid-day, West Coast time, it is 6:54 AM, Friday morning currently.

Will post some pics when we return later today. 

We live in the Sierras —- and are only a couple of hours from home.

Will ship anywhere —- unless it is a giant hassle.

You may or may not need any parts if the reels are cleaned completely, all parts burnished & polished, properly lubricated, and tuned for final adjustment.

These reels are inexpensive to purchase —- as well as long lasting.

The only issues will arise when a reel has been used in saltwater —- not serviced after a season —- and parts are corroded.  But it is all fixable.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

TJAndrews

IMO, it'd be pretty hard to do better than to couple a 331 or 330 with a homemade rod for smallmouth and walleye fishing on the St. Lawrence River. But maybe I'm prejudiced, as I've been using a 331 on the river for about 50 years...  ;D
IMG_1295.JPGIMG_0323.JPG 

TJAndrews

Sorry about that. I only meant for one copy of each photo, and the preview only showed one of each, but somehow I see I wound up posting two. Oh, well. They ARE nice fish...

akroper

Twice as nice when you double post!
Nine of the eleven voices in my head are telling me to go fishing today.

Barishi

Quote from: foakes on November 18, 2022, 03:00:00 PMThe only issues will arise when a reel has been used in saltwater —- not serviced after a season —- and parts are corroded.  But it is all fixable.

Best, Fred

Crap. I mainly fish from saltwater piers. Are there specific models that can handle corrosion/saltwater better than others? And for the ones that don't fare so well, how often do you want to maintain them?