338 to 322 Conversion

Started by nelz, November 15, 2022, 07:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

I have a Newell P338F that I would like to narrow down to a 322 size. I'm hoping if I find a frame and spool in 322 size that it would do the trick? Hoping to save some money using the existing P338F plates.

However, would the series number matter? Does it need to be from a P322F only?

*** Also willing to trade my 338 for a 322 size one.

Swami805

Should be a straight swap, base bars and spool and you're good to go. Won't work with long screw base and bars though so make sure those parts are threaded
You could use a Tiburon or accurate frame for a Penn 501 too
Do what you can with that you have where you are

PacRat

I've done this twice. One is a straight-up Franken-Newell with the shift lever coming out of a Blackie with mods to both the lever and side-plate. The other was cobbled together out of a pile of spare parts so it's hard to say what series any of the parts came from except the side-plates. Seems like there may have been some minor bearing shimming required.

Hell, we're the OHANA...just go for it and you have lots of help if thing get tricky.

nelz

Quote from: Swami805 on November 15, 2022, 07:58:34 PMYou could use a Tiburon or accurate frame for a Penn 501 too

So Penn 501 bars and base would work too? I would just need any Newell 322 spool then?

Thanks  Pac and Swami

Swami805

Yes Penn posts and base should work

nelz

You know, what's funny is I have a beautiful fully functional Penn 501 I can use instead. However, after resurrecting this flea market fixer-upper Newell with a little "Laulima" from the Ohana, and fishing it, I fell in love with it.

The weight, speedy lever, and power/gear ratio are perfect for what I use it for. Now just gotta make it narrower!  :fish

PacRat

I just found my photos for the Franken-Newell. The side-plates are P338F. No telling exactly what the rest of this is. I put it together before getting to know you guys so I used any parts I had on hand.

nelz

Vintage Offshore Tackle

I have a brand new set of short screw graphite 322 bars, base and clamp and a good used 300C aluminum 322 spool that will work. Would that be of interest?

nelz

Swami805

Mr PackRat, 2 dogs in a 300 series, don't see that everyday. Did you add the dog or get the bridge plate from a 440?  Nice reel!

PacRat

Quote from: Swami805 on November 15, 2022, 10:54:02 PMMr PackRat, 2 dogs in a 300 series, don't see that everyday. Did you add the dog or get the bridge plate from a 440?  Nice reel!

I did it myself. It really hasn't been fully tested by a really big fish yet. I just wanted to see if I could do it. I think the springs are the weak link and I'm concerned they might rust. The posts for the dogs are threaded then fixed in place with JB Weld. I also need to see how the JB Weld is standing up to grease.

Bryan Young

I have a few used kits from my friends in Hawaii...as they tend to widen the reels instead of narrowing them.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

nelz

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 17, 2022, 07:42:14 AMI have a few used kits from my friends in Hawaii...as they tend to widen the reels instead of narrowing them.

Bryan, I'm definitely interested.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D